PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Mercola; Cinnamon article 10.12.10

LabDoc
10-12-10, 08:18 AM
Have just read the latest Mercola Newsletter regarding Cinnamon. Shock, horror, amazement, he - or his sycophant researchers have forgotten to say WHICH is the correct Cinnamon to help in Diabetes. Considering this topic has been discussed here earlier, he must be livid, several posters asking him for a 'please explain'.

god has fallen from grace(again?):p

P.S. Ten minutes after I posted on Mercola saying I thought he should personally reply and state the correct Cinnamon to use, surprise, surprise - my post disappeared!!??!!

Islander
10-12-10, 10:26 AM
This is one of my pet peeves, it makes me crazy. Hold on, haven't been there yet (except to cruise for your avatar which I did not find, and now I see why). I will speak out with MY little squeak!

Katee
10-18-11, 04:50 PM
I was surprised to realize that i'm almost out of cinnamon. I've lots of the other spices i use, but almost no cinnamon.

Then, today when shopping i remembered that the reason i'm almost out of cinnamon is that i had read a while back that there are two types, and one is definitely more beneficial than the other. If i remember correctly (and i'm not sure i do) the best cinnamon is not to be found in stores, generally, but needs to be ordered online. So i only bought a little to get me by, and i need to order the "good" cinnamon.

However, my brain is full of holes and i don't remember the whole story. Does someone else? I've been looking at back articles here on HH, but i've not come across the reference yet.

mellowsong
10-18-11, 06:11 PM
So i only bought a little to get me by, and i need to order the "good" cinnamon. However, I don't remember the whole story. Does someone else? I've been looking at back articles here on HH, but i've not come across the reference yet.

What you want is called Ceylon cinnamon or Cinnamomum Zeylanicum or "real cinnamon". The stuff found in grocery stores is Cassia cinnamon. I did find Ceylon cinnamon once at World Market but never again.

bmc65
10-18-11, 06:54 PM
I found ceylon at whole foods. FYI

Islander
10-18-11, 08:06 PM
For ordinary use, either one is fine. If you are using it in therapeutic quantities, everything I've read points to Cinnamomum verum or Ceylon cinnamon, which can usually be found in natural foods stores, both powdered and in capsules. HOWEVER, the research supporting that mercola page cited cassia as the effective form, so don't take my word for anything.

Further, information on one bottle of Ceylon caps specifically said that it might be effective in increasing insulin sensitivity in those who are not yet diabetic. I emphasize this because I've seen it recommended so often for people who are already T2DM.

mellowsong
10-18-11, 10:38 PM
For ordinary use, either one is fine. If you are using it in therapeutic quantities, everything I've read points to Cinnamomum verum or Ceylon cinnamon, which can usually be found in natural foods stores, both powdered and in capsules. HOWEVER, the research supporting that mercola page cited cassia as the effective form, so don't take my word for anything.

Gee, I thought so too Islander but I just read that cassia is what most of the research has been done under...(WebMD...egad, I'm quoting that?) Ray Sahelian says BOTH forms are beneficial. For some reason, I didn't think they were related but they are which makes me think both might be beneficial.

Islander
10-18-11, 11:55 PM
I'm quite sure I've read that Cassia in high doses can be an anti-coagulant, so these research findings puzzle me.

Katee
10-25-11, 06:11 PM
I bought organic "real cinnamon."

I got it at the Savory Spice Shop (http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/cinceyorg.html), and it arrived promptly. I got 8 oz (for $16), which is quite a lot of cinnamon, and i thought was a good price as i've been buying about 2 oz of organic cassia for about $7.

I did still have a small amount of the cassia cinnamon, so after tasting the difference, i blended the two together.

Olivia was with me baking, and we both tried it and both liked the Ceylon cinnamon better. It is milder. I can use more of it without it "biting" me (i don't have much tolerance for hot food and cassia tends to burn my mouth). At first i didn't taste much difference until i realized that i'd been eating cassia on my apples with some stevia blended into it to cut the bite. Ceylon has a natural slight sweetness without stevia.

I don't understand the ups and downs of which cinnamon was the better one. I like the Ceylon and will be eating more of it than i did the cassia. It may have helped with my digestion a little too, as i forgot the Beano and the apple i had with a LOT of Ceylon didn't bother me.

That's my story.