Thread: Osteoporosis Myth: The Dangers of High Bone Mineral Density

Default Osteoporosis Myth: The Dangers of High Bone Mineral Density

Sayer Ji
    3 August 2012

The present-day definitions of Osteopenia and Osteoporosis were arbitrarily conceived by the World Health Organizatoin (WHO) in the early 90's and then projected upon millions of women's bodies seemingly in order to convince them they had a drug-treatable, though symptomless, disease.

Osteopenia (1992)[i] and Osteoporosis (1994)[ii] were formally identified as skeletal diseases by the WHO as bone mineral densities (BMD) 1 and 2.5 standard deviations, respectively, below the peak bone mass of an average young adult Caucasian female, as measured by an x-ray device known as Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA, or DEXA). This technical definition, now used widely around the world as the gold standard, is disturbingly inept, and as we shall see, likely conceals an agenda that has nothing to do with the promotion of health.

Read more:http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/ost...ineral-density

Default Re: Osteoporosis Myth: The Dangers of High Bone Mineral Density

Wow!! So, here's the kicker...."higher bone density does not necessarily equate to higher bone quality and strength. Also, for at least 15 years, it has been known--but not highly publicized--that high bone density "profoundly" increases a woman's risk of breast cancer.
    In Journal of the American Medical Association (1996): Women with bone mineral density above the 25th percentile have 2.0 to 2.5 times increased risk of breast cancer compared with women below the 25th percentile.

One of the comments to this article mentions the "bridges inside the bones" as being the most important factor, and the most difficult to rebuild once they have been destroyed. Previously, I had not known about this; yet another case of a treatment being marketed to treat the wrong symptoms. Couple that concept with Mr. Wizard's comment having to do with increased cancer risk, I would say that this whole ballyhoo about bone density is totally barking up the wrong tree.

I want to start off this comment stating that by no means am I advocating drug treatment of any sort to improve bone density. However, I think that it is a problem for many people. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my 40s (around 2000). Nobody could figure out why (now I know all that stuff for GERD and all the antidepressants caused it). Even looking at Z scores, I definitely had a problem. Anyway, one symptom was very frequent stress fractures in my right foot and very fragile bones in my toes, again, much worse on right. I was prescribed Fosamax and absolutely could not tolerate it so then they tried Actonel...again, I could not tolerate it so I went without treatment. I didn't last even 2 weeks on either drug. Fast forward to 2010, 3 years after I went to a pretty much grain free, whole foods, good fat diet. At the time I was also drinking raw milk kefir. Because I am on hydrocortisone I allowed them to do a dexascan. I had reversed the osteoporosis in my hips and spine had decreased from severe osteoporosis to osteopenia. The doctor was stunned saying he'd never seen that kind of improvement even with drugs and he actually took notes on what I was doing. I have not had a stress fracture in at least 3 years. So, yes, it is over-diagnosed and definitely not treated appropriately but in some cases, it is a real problem...a problem which can be fixed with appropriate diet and supplements.

Mellow, what's a dexascan, please? I wonder if that's the bone scan I had recently.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Mellow, what's a dexascan, please? I wonder if that's the bone scan I had recently.
    Yep, it's a bone density scan. Dual Energy X-ray Absorbtiomity (or something like that, lol)

So if I'm way up in the green zone, based on nutrition alone...does that put me at risk of any adverse effects? I'm confused now!

P.S. The tech assured me this was not an x-ray, and remained near me with no lead apron, so...x-ray or not?

No, if you're in the green zone, definitely not at risk. Also, Dexa scans are X-rays. I'm not aware of other tests although I suppose there are.

Thanks for clarifying!

Thread Information