Thread: Does vitamin E really fight aging?

Default Does vitamin E really fight aging?

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    March 22, 2013

One of the changes that occurs in our bodies as we age is that our cell membranes become stiffer. In the case of your red cells, they get less flexible. This process increases blood viscosity (the thickness of your blood). The thicker your blood, the harder it is to flow through your tiniest capillaries.

Believe it or not, your capillaries are actually smaller in diameter than a red cell. The red cell must fold to get through. If your red blood cells are too stiff, they can't get through. This backs up your circulation.
    But a new study shows how you can soften your red blood cells and improve your circulation.

To read the rest of the article go to:

http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...fightaging.htm

Default Re: Does vitamin E really fight aging?

I'm easily confused, and it's happened again. I am not clear on whether blood ever actually thickens or thins... or whether it's the clotting factor that changes... or whether, as Rowen states, blood becomes more viscous with age. All I know is that the last time I gave blood I filled that pint bag in record time, and I'm not getting any younger!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I'm easily confused, and it's happened again. I am not clear on whether blood ever actually thickens or thins... or whether it's the clotting factor that changes...
    The viscosity of an individual's blood is quite variable depending on things like how much fluid is in blood vessels and how many red blood cells there are. Other particles like fats also play a role. The more fluid in your blood, the thinner it will be; the more red blood cells and particles, the thicker. This doesn't have much to do with how well it flows though if everything else is "normal". The term "blood thinner" is a misnomer. Anti-coagulants do not actually thin the blood, they just interrupt various stages of clotting. When blood flows over a rough surface, be it plaque in a blood vessel or a cut on the skin, a surgical incision etc, the clotting cascade begins. Inside a blood vessel, this can lead to a clot where you don't want one. Anti-coagulants simply make it appear that blood is thinner because it is much slower to clot...stays liquid longer. Many foods and herbs and other supplements can act as anti-coagulants....so I'm not just talking about pharmaceuticals.

Thank you. That's kind of what I thought, but I didn't know viscosity was variable. Always learning!

I honestly believe that I need help at the capillary level in relation to proper blood flow. I know that when it comes to vitamin E, there are major differences in the range of tocopherols from alpha to gamma. Does anyone know which is best for cell flexibility?
    “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison." ~ Dr. Ann Wigmore

Quote Originally Posted by wr7476 View Post
    I honestly believe that I need help at the capillary level in relation to proper blood flow. I know that when it comes to vitamin E, there are major differences in the range of tocopherols from alpha to gamma. Does anyone know which is best for cell flexibility?
    I don't know that there is a particular form that would be "best". However, I do believe that most of the time, what is best is the whole thing, the way it is found in nature; ie one that has all the Es. However, see below. Absolutely avoid anything that says dl-alpha tocopherol as this is synthetic and the one used in studies that showed vitamin E might be harmful. And then there are the tocotrienols which are part of the vitamin E family. Tocotrienols actually have a better anti-oxidant profile than the tocopherols. Tocotrienols have also been shown to reduce brain injury from stroke. Although this advice goes against my feelings about taking things the way they come in nature, tocotrienols and tocopherols should not be taken together. There are several reasons but mostly because tocopherols increase the breakdown of tocotrienols thus greatly lessening their beneficial effects...information I just recently learned. Anyway, sorry, TMI. Didn't mean to write a book, lol.

Veteran Member

Mellowsong, thanks for a good explanation. Something else people might not know is that too much fish oil can interfere with clotting and cause a person to bleed/bruise more easily. I don't remember where I read this, and I don't know how much is too much. That probably depends on the individual. This might be another case of less being more when it comes to supplements.

Islander, I had to laugh at your comment. I don't think you get confused easily at all. You have one of the sharpest minds I've encountered on any website.

@LMW...you are right on the fish oil. I actually use a very high dose for 2 reasons: I have a genetic clotting disorder which was discovered when I ended up with pulmonary emboli so it is part of my anti coagulant regimen and I also take it for inflammatory arthritis.....and to support my heart, and brain and and and.....

In addition to staying away from dl-alpha tocopherol, it would be wise to select a vitamin E that is compose of mixed tocopherol. The research that was done a long time ago that found d-alpha tocopherol to be effective all was done with rats. It turns our that humans have very little use for d-alpha, and that we predominately use the d-gamma form.

One thing you can do right now wr7476 is drink more water. I am reading this wonderful book by Dr. Batmanghelidj called Your Body's Many Cries For Water. Dr. Batmanghelidj talks about how our thirst indicators decrease with age and water containing beverages and foods are not enough — we need more water. He has successfully treated high blood pressure and other conditions such as MS and peptic ulcers with just increasing water intake. The science behind his work is amazing. Dr. Batmanghelidj states that just the movement of water across the cell membrane creates energy — like a miniature hydroelectric plant. It softens and increases flexibility of cell membranes and also improves nerve function.

I drink a lot of fluids (organic coffee in the morning, and diluted organic tea during the day), but I am not drinking enough water water. I am going to work on drinking a glass of water for every glass of tea I drink.

Hmmm... this is the blend I take, though I have none in the house now. I cycle in & out. Thoughts? http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vit...productDetails

P.S. LMW, thx for the compliment. I just finished messaging with my #1 son about an electronics issue with my sound system. Believe me, I can get VERY confused VERY quickly!
    Last edited by Islander; 03-23-13 at 03:36 PM.

@ "mellowsong" Thank you for that explanation on blood viscosity and clotting.

Thanks y'all. @Islander: I was taking an E/tocotrienol complex too because I felt if it occurred in nature that way we should take it that way. However, I came across an article that convinced me the advice to take separately was probably correct. I don't remember all the specifics but it made me start taking them separately. I cannot find the article I read but here are 2 links that explain it a little. This first one is very long, but very in depth about all the forms of Vit E/tocotrienols:
    http://www.wholefoodsmagazine.com/co...t-3-confusing-

Wikipedia has a fairly easy to understand explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocotrienol
    Last edited by mellowsong; 03-23-13 at 09:29 PM.

Appreciate the references, Mellow!

That was a very helpful explanation mellow. Thank you, and thanks to everyone with all the good info.
    “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison." ~ Dr. Ann Wigmore

Thread Information