Thread: The Vitamin Discovery That May Help Prevent Pancreatic Cancer

Default The Vitamin Discovery That May Help Prevent Pancreatic Cancer

Michelle Schoffro Cook
    February 10, 2017

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most dreaded forms of the disease thanks to its aggressive nature and the difficulty involved in treating it successfully. But, new research into the role of vitamin A and the pancreas is shedding light on the serious disease and may offer hope to those suffering from it.
    The pancreas is a long thin organ that sits just below the lower left ribcage. It’s involved in digestion and secreting enzymes that aid in the breakdown of foods. It is also involved in the secretion of insulin—a hormone involved in regulating blood sugar levels and the storage of fat in the body.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the...ic-cancer.html

Default Re: The Vitamin Discovery That May Help Prevent Pancreatic Cancer

The article reads: "The recommended daily allowance of vitamin A is 900 micrograms per day for men and 700 micrograms per day for women. Because vitamin A is fat soluble, it can be stored in the body. It is, therefore, important not to take excessive amounts of the vitamin in supplement form over long periods of time as it can build up in the body."

If I crunched my numbers correctly, an average of 800 mcgs translates into appx. 2500-3000 IUs per day, a dosage not easily found in supplements. I find that concerning for someone that wants a low dosage Vit A sup for a daily maintenance-lifestyle dosage. The lowest dosage I could find at Vitacost is ONE 5000 IU version, all the rest are 10,000 IUs. http://www.vitacost.com/solgar-dry-vitamin-a

Different vitamins have different conversion formulas to convert from IUs to mcgs, it can get a bit confusing at times, here is an example of a IU to mg/mcg website: http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/art...-ui-to-mcg.php

I didn't check your math but you aroused my curiosity so I looked at the ingredients on my 2-per-day multi-vite. Vitamin A is 5000 IU, 100% of the RDA. However, since I'm also fond of food and eat some every day, I don't feel the need of a vitamin supplement that provides 100% of anything, so I take only one of these a day... and not always daily either.

Vitamin A is one that I would particularly not supplement separately anyway. For one thing, an excess is toxic. For another, it's so readily available in the diet. Just in the last 7 days I ate carrots, liver, winter squash and mixed greens (all of which I grew organically, except the liver). In fact, I've read that an ounce of polar bear liver contains enough vitamin A to kill you. I wanted to double-check on that so I went looking, and here's what I found:

From Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami: Quote:
    The polar bear liver is never eaten or fed to the dogs because it causes Vitamin A poisoning, which results in severe illness or even death.

So there you have it. Back off the vitamin A!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Makes good sense to me "Islander", I've only started taking one 10,000 IU Vit A daily a couple months ago, and will now cease and desist, unless I can locate a source that is well within or below maintenance/lifestyle dosages of say 500 IUs.

I decided to add Vit A about a year ago when my eyesight seemed to be deteriorating. I take 10 000iu's once a week, which, reading this, doesn't seem excessive.

Julie, if it's helping you, that sounds reasonable.

Grulla, I think eliminating that 10,000 dose is wise.

And to both of you, with so many rich sources of vitamin A in the average diet, I wonder whether you can't meet your needs with diet alone.

Most all my appx 20 supps are taken daily in minimal, lifestyle/maintenance dosages, and I would only consider increasing a dosage to a remedial level if the need required it, (with Vit C sodium ascorbate powder being an exception, limited only by my bowel tolerance). In that way, if I don't ideally eat all I should for proper nutrition, then at least those supps provide a basic nutritional support.

That said, I'm glad the subject of Vit A came up, as I thought I had that "minimal" daily dosage of 10,000 IUs correct, but upon a second look, apparently NOT. Since I'm a creature of habit, keeping all my chores in as much of a ROUTINE as possible, I can routinely take all my 20 minimal dosage supps "blindfolded" each and every day without forgetting any. I like "Julieann's" idea of taking that one 10,000 IU Vit A capsule once a week and will have to reluctantly do that if I cannot locate a minimal, say, 500 IU Vit A capsule that I can take routinely daily, since me having to remember that taking a certain supp outside of my routine habit once a week might make me forget to take that 10K Vit A.

And since I developed floaters in my right eye last August, and also a mild cataract in one eye according to my ophthalmologist, taking that minimal Vit A is something I don't want to forget. My ophthalmologist did tell me however, that my eyes were in otherwise good shape, and I want to help keep it that way with minimal Vit A. Also, my subsequent amaurosis fugax of the left eye that I briefly experienced last Sept., was just a symptom, and directly related to vascular health (calcification in the carotid and other arteries), whereby reducing my consumption of dairy by over 80% seems to have solved that eye problem, with no further incidents...so far. http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides.../overview.html
    Last edited by grulla; 02-14-17 at 11:27 AM.

Seems like a huge insurance policy, Grulla. Besides the multi-vitamin-mineral and the vitamin C, which would seem to cover all the bases, what else do you think needs remediation? (I am not asking for a list. I'm just curious about why so many, when you already lead a healthy lifestyle).

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Seems like a huge insurance policy, Grulla. Besides the multi-vitamin-mineral and the vitamin C, which would seem to cover all the bases, what else do you think needs remediation? (I am not asking for a list. I'm just curious about why so many, when you already lead a healthy lifestyle).
    "...what else do you think needs remediation?" Again, a distinction has to be made, as I indicated above, that these are minimal, lifestyle (preventative) maintenance dosages, and not increased, remedial dosages that may be the needed result of any possible health condition, such as possibly taking additional Vit B12 for higher energy levels for older people. Also what I did not mention is that there are some supps, like tart cherry extract, that I don't take preventatively, only remedially for gout.

I have always had concerns about the quality of multivitamins, preferring instead to purchase and consume vitamins in discrete form, and that allows for greater flexibility when making vitamin changes for whatever reason.

Not a sales pitch (I have no affiliation) but I like Life Extension's two per day because the company has a good reputation for quality and is highly respected. Also, their formula is so complete that it's too much to put in one tablet, hence two per day. And that gives me great flexibility. I like to think I get 99% of my nutrition from the foods I choose, so I take one a day of the two-per-day formula, and even then I skip a day now and then so as not to get excessive on one thing or another.

Altogether I rely on 4 basic supps: vitamin C, cilantro for detox (because I can't eat it fresh), milk thistle and ubiquinol for liver support (because of a glass of wine almost every night... plus whatever glyphosate I may be ingesting in dairy). I keep magnesium citrate on hand because when my legs get crampy, I know I'm low. And depending on the fall vitamin D test, I might add vitamins D and K to that regimen in winter, though not daily.

Oops, edit. I forgot I take nattokinase along with my lifetime thyroid and first vitamin C of the day. Been doing that for at least 12 years. Along with the L-Lysine and L-Proline in my C, I expect never to have any kind of heart condition.

Vitamins-are-to-me-like-side-effects,-if-you-eat-right-you-don't-need-any-supplements-to-a-good-diet.--Damn-space-bar-still-no-workee

I agree, Ora, with 2 exceptions: vitamin D, because most of us, even in places we think of as sunny, like Florida and Arizona, people aren't getting sufficient vitamin D — and because we are one of two mammals that cannot make our own vitamin C (the other is the guinea pig).

Thread Information