Thread: Animal Fat is the New Superfood

Default Animal Fat is the New Superfood

Nora Gedgaudas, CNS, NTP, BCHN
    March 16, 2017

100% Pasture-fed Animal Fats: Villain or Under-appreciated Superfood?

You might be asking yourself what something like animal fat is doing in a discussion about superfoods? People expect to see things like broccoli sprouts, avocados, turmeric and blueberries when it comes to this topic, and animal source foods are rarely considered in this discussion. I believe the time has come to turn this around. When I looked at the mountain of research on this topic that I pored through in writing my recently released book, Primal Fat Burner, I realized that there was a long overdue and radically under appreciated story that needed to be told.

Read more: http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com...new-superfood/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Animal Fat is the New Superfood

I often wonder though, just how much fat was in those wild animals, given they ran and walked, rather than mooched around just eating grass. I'm sure they had some fat,which was prized, but would it have been a large part of ancient diets?

Good question, Julieanne. I just began reading the new book Primal Fat Burner; I shall try to pay attention when I get to the section where she describes this topic.

I can't speak for tropical or semi-tropical areas, but in the northern tier of the US, wild animals up fatten up in fall when certain crops mature. They need a store of fat for hibernation and/or to carry their pregnancy through the winter. Deer and other ungulates will carry twins if they are on a rising plane of nutrition during tupping season. This is why cooler countries have a hunting "season" for particular birds and beasts — when they are in their prime. Bear and wild hogs tend to be very fatty, deer not so much, and rabbits at any time are so lean that there's a condition (known especially to miners during the Gold Rush) as "rabbit starvation." That is, one can get severely sick on a diet of plentiful rabbit meat, because rabbits have virtually no fat.

Islander, re 'rabbit starvation': a Brit quiz show called QI (Quite Interesting) brought this up last year. But the explanation was that the condition came about because the miners ate only rabbit meat, with no fruit or vegetables. I have no idea of the truth of this, and it may be a combination of the two.

Let's put it a different way. Miners ate only rabbit meat with no other protein (because they were easy to snare). The issue is in the absence of fat, not the absence of carbohydrates. But let's go to Google for the final authority: "Protein poisoning (also referred to colloquially as rabbit starvation, mal de caribou, or fat starvation) is a rare form of acute malnutrition thought to be caused by a complete absence of fat." Further: " Man cannot live by rabbits alone - the meat is too lean. Add fats and a few carbs to the proteins in lapin, and you can easily survive. Rabbit meat - lapin - is typically too lean. Humans need a certain amount of fat intake, certainly more than a wild (or domestic) rabbit provides."

Thread Information