Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil to Treat Alzheimers, Dementia

Default Coconut Oil to Treat Alzheimers, Dementia

This is a summary of an article I read in a subscription newsletter-I think the information would apply to anyone with a decrease in cognitive functioning, even normal aging changes.

Dr. Frank Shallenberger wrote in his December 2009 issue of Real Cures Letter about a treatment for Alzheimer's using virgin organic coconut oil.

Dr. Shallenberger talked about a very interesting study of
    Alzheimer patients improving on cognitive testing over a 3 month period when their blood levels of ketones increased (control group with unchanged ketone levels had deteriorating scores on cognitive testing). When researchers allowed the treated Alzheimer patients ketone levels to drop to normal levels, their cognitive testing scores decreased.

Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (VOCO) will increase blood levels of ketones. When the
    VOCO is ingested, the fatty acids are rapidly absorbed in the intestine, go to the liver, and are converted directly to ketones.

Dr. Shallenberger cites the example of Mr. Steve Newport, who developed Alzheimer's when he was 53. Mr. Newport's wife, Dr. Mary Newport, found out about VOCO and started giving it to her husband. Steve rapidly improved, and his story and the protocol they used is documented on the website: www.coconutketones.com.

Dr. Shallenberger has a very interesting explanation of why VOCO might be able to improve Alzheimer patients functioning.
    Aging decreases the brain's ability to convert glucose into energy. This is particularly true in neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
    However, the brain can also use energy from ketones, and this ability is not damaged by aging or disease.
    Dr. Shallenberger thinks when an Alzheimer's patient eats VOCO, the liver supplies ketones to the brain which is converted into energy to restore brain function.
    He has had good results with using VOCO 2 tablespoons twice a day dissolved in hot water, tea, oatmeal, etc. combined with a low-carb diet.
    (Start with 1 tablespoon VOCO a day and gradually work up as the body gets used to it.)

Dr. Shallenberger's website: www.realcuresletter.com

Default Re: Coconut Oil to Treat Alzheimers, Dementia

Thanks Reesacat.... My aunt is in a nursing home and I have been sneaking Vitamin D3 into her and hoping it would help her cognitive skills. She can not speak to where you can understand her. Maybe the Coconut oil might help also. I will try it along with the D3. Will let you know if it works.

I often put up to a T. in smoothies or oatmeal, and of course I use it in cooking. But I also apply it externally. It's a wonderful, affordable moisturizer and I assume my skin is absorbing a certain amount of what I apply as well.

I notice my memory is failing me from time to time; I hope tricks like these (plus the NY Times crossword puzzles, sudoku and active reading) will help somewhat to reverse the decline that comes with age. (Then again, I see people like Morley Safer, Karl Kassel, and Dan Schorr and think, If they can keep their mental edge, so can I!)
    Last edited by Islander; 12-28-09 at 10:31 AM.

I use about 1 Tablespoon every 2 or 3 days myself.
    I thought I would try to get in 1-2 Tablespoons a day and just see if it helps with the CFIDS brain fog.

Hm. Calories are the deterrent for me. I don't think my skin counts calories!

Wow fascinating. Thanks for posting this Reesacat. Of all the wonderful things I have heard about coconut oil over the last few years, this is new info. It makes a lot of sense though. Guess I'll increase my intake again. Lately, I've gone more to butter, but VCO it is!

Am I nuts or is this in 2 places? LOL. I too use it externally on my skin; as a base for oil of oregano to treat yeast in skin folds, and alone as a moisturizer.

I put it in 2 places just to get the word out-in case a guest was just searching nutrition forum

And I merged the threads just because I saw it was drawing replies in 2 places. Good plan, Reesacat, but information circuits were crossing. Maybe I'll set up an Alzheimer's forum, if I can spell it, and move everything there, as I did with GMO foods.

That's what happens when you post at 1 am!

Good idea about the Alzheimers forum-can we do that?
    Most of us have family friends who either have it or are caregivers.

EmmaPeel

EV coconut oil is the best! At first I was having a bit of a 'reaction' to it when I was using it for cooking and for a good foot (and body) moisturizer...by reaction.... I mean running to the washroom!

It also gave me a considerable amount of nausea, so I cut back for a while and re-introduced it slowly. No prob's. now! Don't think I could tolerate that amount of absorption since I am without a gallbladder. I think the lipids were just too much for me to include it in all forms.

But as a footnote, I tried something different with it in my Christmas baking...I substituted half the butter with EV coconut butter and not only did it make the baking especially delicious, but it eliminated half the dairy from the recipe. I also used it in my granola recipe with great results.

...as a footnote, I really believe that it has improved my memory. Several people have commented on my abilities to recall a huge amount of detail over the past months! It's almost photographic!

It also has kept my usual seasonal eczema at bay, and my mum reports that is has softened and removed all of her keratotic lesions.

Would love to hear more on how it has helped all of you!
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 12-28-09 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaPeel

It also gave me a considerable amount of nausea, so I cut back for a while and re-introduced it slowly. No prob's. now! Don't think I could tolerate that amount of absorption since I am without a gallbladder. I think the lipids were just too much for me to include it in all forms.
    Emma, I haven't had a gallbladder in 25 years but when I was following Bee's anti-yeast program I actually had worked my way up to 6 tablespoonsful per day. I just couldn't afford to keep using that amount. As to whether it helped cognitively I am not sure because, that was a period where I was experiencing a great deal of healing and remission of CFS so felt pretty sharp. Was actually able to learn 2 new jobs in a 6 month period.

After reading this I am going to increase my intake again. BTW, I substitute coconut oil for butter in all baking/cooking. I never know when I'll be sharing something with my grandkids and they cannot tolerate the minutest amount of dairy. To me, it tastes fine

EmmaPeel

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    Emma, I haven't had a gallbladder in 25 years but when I was following Bee's anti-yeast program I actually had worked my way up to 6 tablespoonsful per day. I just couldn't afford to keep using that amount. As to whether it helped cognitively I am not sure because, that was a period where I was experiencing a great deal of healing and remission of CFS so felt pretty sharp. Was actually able to learn 2 new jobs in a 6 month period.

After reading this I am going to increase my intake again. BTW, I substitute coconut oil for butter in all baking/cooking. I never know when I'll be sharing something with my grandkids and they cannot tolerate the minutest amount of dairy. To me, it tastes fine
    Mellow, I suppose it must be different for some, but the yeast issue is something to consider too. Bee's...can you send me a link?
    Would love to try it and see if it helps! I think I was pretty good about avoiding sugar this Christmas, but a few chocolates slipped in....
    It's all those work potlucks and family gatherings that pose the problem!
    Can't use stevia for some reason. Seems to trigger my migraines...go figure.

I haven't considered using CO in my baking as I haven't experimented with it much. I did notice that the cookies spread out a bit more than usual, but I am considering switching over completely. We use Ghee quite a bit (butter with the milk solids removed) for saute's, and CO too. Trying to avoid using my EVOO for saute's as heating the oil is counterproductive. EVOO is best for salads as you know.

You should consider posting some of your baking recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaPeel
    Mellow, I suppose it must be different for some, but the yeast issue is something to consider too. Bee's...can you send me a link?
    Overall, I think Bee's program is pretty good but she has some really wacky beliefs. The group she runs however, is a different story. With that group, she is frankly dangerous. I quit after she deleted a post telling someone to go to the ER and then put me on moderation.

She advocates quitting all meds, INCLUDING SEIZURE. The person I tried to tell to go to the ER had stopped her seizure meds and felt really bad and like she was about to have a seizure.

Now, I have been told she no longer tells people to immediately stop their meds...but I still think she is dangerous. No, I don't like meds, but some are necessary and life saving. She told me to stop thyroid and hydrocortisone (I have frank adrenal insufficiency), stuff like that.

So, while I'd say check out her program, don't join the group
    http://healingnaturallybybee.com/

As to cooking with EVO you lose some enzymes, but you don't lose the other healing properties in coconut oil. Finding refined coconut oil that is from coconut meat and does not use hexane or other chemicals to purify/deodorize is not an easy proposition, so I use EVO for everything. Spectrum is the only brand I can find locally (besides LuAnne which is garbage) and from what I gather, not a really trustworthy brand. But yes, you are right, it is best to use EVO raw

EmmaPeel

I found some without much problem. Not refined, pure. Bought it at a local wholesale health food/equipment store. Not many people know about this place, but it has the most amazing products. Bit pricey even for wholesale.

As far as Bee's blog is concerned, thanks for the head's up. Will keep that in mind for sure. Even as a nurse, I do not advocate for drug use in absolutely every case as I believe that their is a more natural means of prevention and treatment than drugs, much to the chagrin of my HMO's and pharma tech's...but you are right, sometimes it is necessary and lifesaving.

Have you ever tried Ghee? That is when you lightly simmer off all the milk solids in butter and strain them out with a coffee filter or muslin. Ayurvedic medicine uses it from everything from hair tonic, to cooking, to massage. It is lovely. Must avoid oils as a general rule myself as it is not great for my 'dosha' so to speak. Fascinating Ayurvedic healing is...and so appropriate. Works along the same lines as Mercola's metabolic type diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information