Thread: Ugh, post-juice nausea...

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Default Ugh, post-juice nausea...

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Had a great big juice last night, not long before bed - carrot, apple, pear, beetroot, kale, and orange. Tasted awesome. All fresh that day and all organic.

Woke up this morning and I feel ROUGH. Incredibly nauseous, been to the loo a few times, feel like I'm gonna vomit. (Sorry, graphic). I felt like I was coming down with something yesterday but it was more flu-y, so I had a good sleep during the day, took loads of good immune-boosters, etc, had a good meal, and felt much better by the evening, but was feeling a bit flu-y again before bed.

So not sure if I'm genuinely coming down with something or what because now I have loads of energy and I'm wide awake, but holy moly my stomach. I'm sure it was the juice as I've had nausea before after juicing beetroot and kale together.

Any ideas on how to prevent it happening again?

I'm meant to be in class right now but no way can I face trekking up the hill I have to walk up and the 3km hike to uni. :(

Default Re: Ugh, post-juice nausea...

Excuse me if I sound like Captain Obvious, but maybe don't combine beets & kale in the same drink?

Or perhaps it was just coincidence and you really are coming down with something?

Maybe... not sure if it's one or the other though. I juice both and eat lots of both though, generally in the same day... Maybe I've just had too much beetroot lately.

Nobody's ever had this before? Or post-juice nausea?

Blech. Feeling marginally better now. Hopefully I'll be able to this afternoon's class.

Not feeling all that happy right now, since this coming weekend is our big fasting weekend. Compulsory retreat and fast, based entirely around vege broths and juice. Not entirely looking forward to it, and this reaction ain't helping make me feel any better...

Detox reaction? Homeopathics might help...
    whether flu or something else.

Don't think it's flu. My stomach's just awful... blech. Maybe it was just something I ate last night before it. Went to a Japanese restaurant.

Want to go to class but I can't in this state. :(

Regular soy sauce has wheat gluten.
    Mellow had been gluten-grain free and ate Chinese and it was like food poisoning reacting to gluten and MSG in base sauces.

Veteran Member

Diz, two thoughts--well, three: 1. I hope you feel better soon. 2. I've read that one should not juice citrus and greens together. I don't know if that's true or not, but I remember that when I read it (long time ago), the reasoning made sense to me. 3. COMPULSORY fast? Who on earth is compelling you to fast? Don't fast if you don't feel up to it, please. On the other hand, it might do you good, but your body and intuition will guide you, I'm sure.

Dizzy, I think you are probably detoxing. Beet juice will really detoxify the liver and if you aren't used to it and drank a lot, I can see it making you feel ill. I make fermented beets and also drink the liquid. I can only manage very small amounts at a time or I get quite nauseated. With all the ingredients in that juice, it probably did pack quite a punch! The only citrus I know to avoid with some people is grapefruit because a compound in it can change the way certain drugs and supplements are metabolized but don't think that applies here. If you have any further information on that Pattypans, I'd be curious. Didn't find much in a quick search. Anyway Diz, hope you are feeling much better now!

This totally could be coincidence (probably is), but I had nearly identical symptoms, unrelated to juice, several days ago. This all started after a delicious meal at an "Asian Bistro" in Ohio, where I had eaten some time ago with no ill effects. Blowing out both ends for days, not good. What Reesacat said about the restaurant shoyu made sense to me, although it does seem a bit immediate for a gluten reaction (of course, I should have known better).

Whatever it is, I hope you're over it and feeling better already!

Um...I meant that for Diz. Maurya, I assume you're all better!

Uuugh. Don't think it's gluten, because I've still been having that in very small amounts with no problem (in this house, being totally rigid is pretty much impossible).

Could be the beetroot hammering my liver Mellow, that makes sense... I've just never had a cleansing type reaction like this before, ever, and I don't ever tend to get nausea (in fact, I don't tend to get sick from bugs at all). I'm fine on citrus (including on grapefruit - don't do drugs, lol) so it won't have been that, and I've been doing fruit juices every night for the past week using up all the stuff in our vege box. It was only half a smallish beetroot in the juice, so not alot, although I had had another half of one in a salad at lunchtime, so I guess maybe it just overloaded.

It's getting better now but still just lying in bed with my laptop. No way am I fasting if I'm like this tomorrow!!

I know Dizz is not herself when she types alot.

Get better, Dizz! You're making me twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Whatever it is, I hope you're over it and feeling better already!

Um...I meant that for Diz. Maurya, I assume you're all better!
    Yes, Izzy, I do hope you will rise and shine as though all of this had been just a bad dream. And I am getting over it, as well, mostly thanks to Reesacat reintroducing me to wholesome foods, and then to getting back home, where the living is easy.

Yes, I hope you're better too Maurya! I'll be fine. Ugh.

Detoxing. *twitch*

Thread Information