Thread: Vitamin K2

Default Vitamin K2

Perhaps I just am lousy at searching and getting a simple answer to a straightforward question, but I have failed so far on this one.

On the jar label for some brands of vitamin K2 supplements, the recommendation is to take the supplement on an empty stomach. Other brand names do not specify timing, with or without food. While trying to come up with a source for why this would be important, I have found about as many sources saying "empty stomach, away from food" as ones saying "with food containing fats". I can see some point in either one of these views, but rather than just guessing, I thought I would ask if anyone here has read any real research showing that one way or the other would be more effective, and more importantly why this would be so. Thanks much.

Default Re: Vitamin K2

I would take it with food since it is fat-soluble and comes from food sources such as natto, fermented dairy, etc. I couldn't find a recommendation, either-so this is where I would just use some common sense.

That sounds logical. Except for vitamin C, which I take at intervals throughout the day, I take my supplements with meals because that is how they would normally arrive. I figure the stomach will know what to do with them when it gets them.

I thought so, as well, which was why I was a bit surprised that the label indicated otherwise. Some other name brands indicated the same. When I did some research, many comments on products seemed to say that this was obvious (the empty stomach thing), along with B12 and folate also needing to be taken on an empty stomach, but no references or reasons why were provided. So that is why I was asking. Anyway, thanks.

The one or two Vit K bottles I looked at said take with meals. Weird-Vitamin K2 is fat-soluble.
    Occasionally for theraputic purposes you take enzymes on an empty stomach when using them for pain and in the case of nattokinase and lumbrokinase for reducing excess fibrinogen.

Thread Information