Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home-Made Liposomal Vitamin C (and Glutathione)

Default Home-Made Liposomal Vitamin C (and Glutathione)

You can find recipes on the web but they all call for using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner which requires you to watch it constantly because the timer only goes to 2 minutes. I don't have time or energy to baby sit a machine. In talking to a friend online about this, she told me she belonged to a group where someone proved a stick (immersion) blender gave the same results as the machine and requires very little effort. I have used this method to make liposomal glutathione and after less than a week, I do feel a difference. FYI: I accidentally bought buffered vitamin C powder and it will NOT go into a liposomal state. It looks OK for a little while, then separates. I even tried mixing it for 6 minutes but although not quite as bad, it still didn't all stay mixed in. Make sure you buy pure ascorbic acid powder..

With this method you get about 75% encapsulation vs 90% on the store bought stuff. Basically take a little more and you are still saving huge amounts of money.
    This makes about 14 oz of product.
    Vitamin C
    3 level tablespoons of soy lecithin (45cc). Make sure it is GMO free and organic if possible.
    1 level tablespoon ascorbic acid powder (15cc)

Dissolve the lecithin in 1 cup (240cc) warm, NOT HOT, water, preferably distilled. You can use cold water but it dissolves much faster if slightly warmed. If the water is hot, it will clump rather than dissolve.

Dissolve the ascorbic acid in 1/2 cup warm water, preferably distilled.

Pour both solutions together into a wide mouth mason jar or other container that can accommodate the stick blender.

Blend until it forms a cloudy, homogeneous mixture in about 2 minutes.
    Refrigerate and you're done. You will have to calculate the dose you are taking by the amount of Vitamin C in the product you use. For example, I bought a an ascorbic acid powder that will give me 12 grams of Vitamin C in 14 oz of solution. When I make this I am going to add enough extra Vitamin C to make 1g/oz.

Glutathione
    Method is exactly the same as above:
    3 level tablespoons soy lecithin
    1 tablespoon or 7 grams of glutathione powder
    Proceed exactly as above.

I could not find an affordable glutathione powder so I ended up buying 500mg capsules and opening them.
    Hint: I have arthritic hands and opening the caps was a pain. I usually make a double batch. Well, today, I put the capsules in a baggie and beat the capsules with a small glass jar. It crumbled the capsules. I just poured it all in a large tea strainer and shook the powder into a bowl. Voila...just a few minutes and no pain Hope this helps someone else.

Hint#2: Decided pounding the capsules was a pain in the butt too, saw some kitchen shears on the counter and a light bulb went off. I just snipped the bottom of the caps off and shook the contents out into a jar. Simplest solution yet!

One affordable source of clean ascorbic acid powder: http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Asc...-kg/30240?at=0
    Here's why I chose this one:
    We use only 100% pure pharmaceutical grade L-ascorbic acid USP-FCC* (C6H8O6) which contains no corn residue, plant antigens, or protein impurities. Individuals allergic to corn or yeast can use this product with confidence. pH 2.1† Made without Gluten or GMOs
    Last edited by mellowsong; 01-28-13 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Home-Made Liposomal Vitamin C (and Glutathione)

Thank you Mellow!
    Anyone else who tries this, please let us know how you do and how you feel.

Is it there any possible substitute for the soy lecithin for those of us who are soy intolerant?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    Is it there any possible substitute for the soy lecithin for those of us who are soy intolerant?
    I know one person who is soy intolerant using liposomal C and doing fine

Very useful information. Thx, Mello. I just stuck this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    I left this off my other post but I meant to add that there is lecithin made from sunflower seeds. I have no idea if you would use the same amount as the soy. Here is one example:
    http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index...cts_id=1002747

Thank you mellow.

Here is some more information on Liposomal Vitamin C:

According to the literature from the Liposomal C people they say the absorption is closer to IV vitamin C levels (this is from the company):

Liposomes are sub-microscopic bubbles made of a class of substances called phospholipids. Virtually every cell in the human body is encapsulated by a membrane made from phospholipids. When phospholipid layers are placed in certain solutions and under certain conditions, liposomal bubbles automatically form. These tiny bubbles are filled with the host solution and now protect the enclosed substance from exposure to degrading substances in the surrounding environment.

This is particularly important for anti-oxidant nutrients like Vitamin C that are easily oxidized by electron-hungry substances in the air we breathe.

Phospholipids are also impervious to digestive juices which make liposomes ideal for transporting acid- and enzyme-reactive substances through the digestive tract.

In addition, the submicroscopic size of nutrient-filled liposomes is so small that they easily pass through the intestinal barrier without requiring help from an active transport system or from osmotic pressure in the gut. Hence, virtually all of the nutrient is carried straight to the cells that need it.

Dr. Hickey and Dr. Roberts state on page 235 of their new book, Cancer and Nutrition, “Use of liposomal preparations of Vitamin C may increase its effectiveness, blurring the distinction between oral and intravenous therapies.” Dr. Thomas Levy, after several personal and clinical successes with liposomal encapsulated Vitamin C, tells his medical peers, “I have consistently found this [liposomal encapsulated] form of Vitamin C to be vastly more beneficial clinically than IV Vitamin C. To be sure, if I am sick, I want both IV C and liposomal encapsulated Vitamin C. However, if I can only have one form, I have no hesitation in saying it will be liposomal encapsulated Vitamin C.”

At www.VitaminCFoundation.org, Owen R. Fonorow, a Vitamin C expert, states in the product forum, -- “The ability to reach IV serum levels orally .... is a benefit worth the higher cost [compared to other forms of oral ascorbate] for many people.”
    http://www.anti-agingresearchcenter....echnology.html

Here is a short video from Dr. Michael K. Ihara making liposomal Vitamin C (very similar to Mellow's recipe):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeU--wadrMY
    Last edited by Islander; 05-05-14 at 11:05 AM.

mellowsong, I just came across a site that has glutathione powder: www.thebestfoodever.com. Powders are usually more economical than capsules.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    mellowsong, I just came across a site that has glutathione powder: www.thebestfoodever.com. Powders are usually more economical than capsules.
    I found one powder which was way more expensive than capsules. However, I clicked your link and I cannot find glutathione on that site

Sorry mellowsong, when I went back I couldn't either! One of those sites that I'd come across through a number of links, so I'd never find the original link again.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Sorry mellowsong, when I went back I couldn't either! One of those sites that I'd come across through a number of links, so I'd never find the original link again.
    No problem...has happened to me many times!!! I can say I have searched as have 2 friends...we all found the same one which for some reason was much more expensive than the capsules. So, right now, I'll just open the caps

Thegratefulgardener

I found a sunflower lecithin to use in place of the soy, but it's not granular, it's more like a paste - think nut butter. Does anyone know if it will work? I'm not sure if the form matters.

I'm planning to use a blender and an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (I found one that you can set for up to 30 minutes with no auto shut-off!).

Quote Originally Posted by Thegratefulgardener View Post
    I found a sunflower lecithin to use in place of the soy, but it's not granular, it's more like a paste - think nut butter. Does anyone know if it will work? I'm not sure if the form matters.
    I'm sorry but I cannot answer your question. However, just so you know, even people who are soy intolerant seem to tolerate the soy lecithin. All I can suggest is trying it using the same amounts called for with the granules and see if it all emulsifies in the jewelry cleaner. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

What are you taking this for?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information