Thread: Will Gray Popsicle Photo Put an End to Artificial Food Coloring?

Default Will Gray Popsicle Photo Put an End to Artificial Food Coloring?

Consumers Deserve Real Food, not Foodless Food
    by Guest Blogger, Jane Hersey, Feingold Association
    Food Politics | April 29, 2011

One of the interesting repercussions from the recent publicity about the link between food dyes and ADHD has been the industry’s attempt to put their own spin on the issue — to say that we need petroleum-based food dyes, and our lives would be unpleasant without them.

Symbolic of this is the photo of gray popsicles that appeared in a NY Times article, Colorless Food? We Blanch. Without these dyes, so the story goes, our food would all be colorless and unappetizing.

The image is striking, but absurd on several levels.

First of all, food that is made from food has the color of that food. So, if a popsicle is actually made from strawberries it will be the color of the strawberries. News flash: Strawberries are pink, orange juice is orange and grape juice is purple.

Food companies would never create gray food since consumers would not buy it, and these folks are not in the business of creating products that don’t sell. This is why multinational food companies are coloring processed foods with (the more expensive) natural dyes, for sale in Europe.

The choice is not between foods that are gray and foods that have fake dyes. The choices are between real foods and foodless foods, and between dyes that are cheap and dyes that are more expensive.

Jane Hersey is the national director of the Feingold Association of the US, and have worked with the organization since 1976. I’m the author of “Why Can’t My Child Behave?” and “Healthier Food for Busy People.” Also, I edit the Association’s newsletter, Pure Facts (attached is the May issue). To learn more about the Feingold program which helps those struggling with food additive sensitivities, visit the Feingold website.

Please watch this video where a Mom Tells Dramatic Story of Food Coloring and ADHD.

If you find this alarming, please see (and share!) the related video in a recent Hartke is Online! blog post, The Unhealthy Truth About our Modern Processed Foods. Since posted on this blog it has received over 6000 views!

This post is part of the Food Renegade Fight Back Friday blog carnival. Join other food activists to discuss food politics!

http://hartkeisonline.com/food-polit...food-coloring/

Default Re: Will Gray Popsicle Photo Put an End to Artificial Food Coloring?

I read once that margarine is grey before they add the dyes.

Margarine was introduced in our house during WW 2. It was white, but came with a tiny packet of red granules that were stirred into the margarine in a bowl to color it yellow. And remember Wisconsin is "The Dairy State" ("Cheeseheads"?)...margarine can be sold, but at one time it had to be colored green.

Veteran Member

Excellent article! I like the way it shows how the way you frame the question greatly influences your thinking: "First of all, food that is made from food has the color of that food. So, if a popsicle is actually made from strawberries it will be the color of the strawberries. News flash: Strawberries are pink, orange juice is orange and grape juice is purple....The choice is not between foods that are gray and foods that have fake dyes. The choices are between real foods and foodless foods, and between dyes that are cheap and dyes that are more expensive."

I have a burning desire to write something to help people see how so much of what they see and hear manipulates their thinking and actions, so they can learn to think independently and not be duped.

On another point: Islander, I thought that the margarine sold during the war, that you colored yourself, was called oleo. I think it was my mother, who got married during the war, who told me that. I know you've been there, done that, so I'm wondering what I'm remembering wrong.

I apologize for the abundance of commas in this post.

"Oleo" was a shortened form (pun intended) of the word "oleo margarine". As a relatively newly popularized substance and name for said substance, the word "oleo" or "margarine" was used by different people in different regions. Gradually the word "margarine" became the accepted word, unfortunately accompanied by the acceptance of the hideous substance.

Perhaps this was the brilliant idea of the food processors; if the "consumer" never has to confront the visual evidence of what this glop really looks like, it will be more accepted. So, voila! The coloring now is mixed in, prior to the eater having to look at gray grease, and all appears to be well.

By the way, have any of our members (besides me) had the experience of being up close and personal with a commercial rendering plant? Might be a good topic, having to do with where our "personal care" products really come from...

Maurya got here before me but she's exactly right.

That said...for the rural poor, lard was commonly spread on bread. If from pastured pigs, it's actually healthier than butter. What color is lard? Light pearly grey.

“Color is such a crucial part of the eating experience that banning dyes would take much of the pleasure out of life,” said Kantha Shelke, a food chemist and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists.
    Everytime someone says something so completely ludicrous I wonder: does she really believe this or does she think she is speaking to people with no ability to think for themselves?

Perhaps this is why a lard and paprika sandwich used to be so popular with kids. The paprika added some color and antioxidant type of nutrition to the otherwise colorless lard on the whole wheat bread. At least that is how I remember it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    “Color is such a crucial part of the eating experience that banning dyes would take much of the pleasure out of life,” said Kantha Shelke, a food chemist and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists."
    "Food experience" does not equal "eating" in my opinion; and who would trust someone who is a "food technologist" anyway? How about a simple, real farmer instead?
    Last edited by Islander; 04-30-11 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    “Color is such a crucial part of the eating experience that banning dyes would take much of the pleasure out of life,” said Kantha Shelke, a food chemist and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists.
    Everytime someone says something so completely ludicrous I wonder: does she really believe this or does she think she is speaking to people with no ability to think for themselves?
    I know, right?

Thread Information