Thread: Paint fumes and Air Purifiers

JaiJai

Default Paint fumes and Air Purifiers

Hi all,
    I am going to be living, temporarily (for 3 months), in a place that has recently been painted (about 2 weeks ago).
    It's my understanding that latex paint continues to off-gas for a long time .... even after there is no noticeable odor.
    Is there an air purifier that can eliminate (or at least greatly mitigate) the voc's?
    Any information on air purifiers (including product recommendations) is much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Paint fumes and Air Purifiers

Islander wrote a great article about plants that purify the air:
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...=Plants+purify

Here is a link to Dr. Mercola's website and the air purifier he sells. It is expensive, and I probably wouldn't buy it. But the information he put together is good and might help you find something you can use:
    http://airpurifier.mercola.com/

A special filter that removes VOCs is going to cost 400 to 600 dollars. Austin Air is the one I've seen recommended frequently. I'm sure you don't want to spend that kind of money for a temporary situation. Unfortunately, HEPA filters do not remove VOCs and other gasses. A few things that will help: put bowls of white vinegar around (although I think this is mostly for formaldehyde); put open containers of baking soda, activated charcoal or zeolite around. These will absorb a lot of VOCs. Stay away from ozone air purifiers even though they will remove VOCs. Ozone has its own dangers.

JaiJai

I don't mind spending some money on an air purifier as it's something that i've been wanting to invest in for a long time and it will be something i will use into the future.
    You said you've heard good things about Austin but they use HEPA filters don't they?
    This is the one i was looking at.
    http://www.austinair.com/healthmateplus.php

I published my own list of air-cleaning plants because Dr. M's gave only common names, which vary from place to place. Sure, most people know what a spider plant is, but in other cases the botanical name is helpful. As for his product, can't speak for the one Reesacat linked to, but I bought his Way Healthier air purifier. Had I known at the time that the replacement bulb would cost $80, I would have stowed that bilge! Now it sits in my solar room, unplugged and inoperative.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by JaiJai View Post
    I don't mind spending some money on an air purifier as it's something that i've been wanting to invest in for a long time and it will be something i will use into the future.
    You said you've heard good things about Austin but they use HEPA filters don't they?
    This is the one i was looking at.
    http://www.austinair.com/healthmateplus.php
    That's the right one. Yes, but the HEPA removes particulate matter like mold, bacteria, dust etc. The AustinAir also has another carbon/zeolite filter which is what removes the VOCs. This is what I would get if I could

JaiJai

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    That's the right one. Yes, but the HEPA removes particulate matter like mold, bacteria, dust etc. The AustinAir also has another carbon/zeolite filter which is what removes the VOCs. This is what I would get if I could
    Oh, thank you. (and thanks for all of the above replies)
    I went back and actually read the information (silly me ) and now i understand what you're saying.
    It seems like a good investment ... costly but worth it i think.

Thread Information