Thread: Oatmeal: Good or bad?

Default Oatmeal: Good or bad?

Dr. William Davis
    March 11, 2010

You’ve heard it before: oatmeal reduces cholesterol. Oatmeal producers have obtained permission from the FDA to use a cholesterol-reducing claim. The American Heart Association provides a (paid) endorsement of Quaker Oats.
    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve asked someone whether they ate a healthy breakfast and the answer was “Sure. I had oatmeal.”
    Is this true? Is oatmeal heart healthy because it reduces LDL cholesterol?
    I don’t think so. Try this: Have a serving of slow-cooked (e.g., steel-cut, Irish, etc.) oatmeal. Most people will consume oatmeal with skim or 1% milk and some dried or fresh fruit. Wait an hour, then check your blood sugar.
    If you are not diabetic and have a fasting blood sugar in the “normal” range (<100 mg/dl), you will typically have a 1-hour blood glucose of 150-180 mg/dl–very high. If you have mildly increased fasting blood sugars between 100 and 126 mg/dl, postprandial (after-eating) blood sugars will easily exceed 180 mg/dl. If you have diabetes, hold onto your hat because, even if you take medications, blood sugar one hour after oatmeal will usually be between 200 and 300 mg/dl.

Read more: http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/...od-or-bad.html

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Oatmeal: Good or bad?

This is disturbing. As a diabetic, I do eat oatmeal, but rarely with anything other than butter or coconut oil, sea salt, nuts and sunflower seeds. Rarely I might add just a sprinkle of dried cherries.

The reason I find the info disturbing is that in the years when I was testing BG twice daily, I never did so after breakfast...only 2 hours after lunch and dinner. Only once in the 3 years I tested did I EVER see a reading as high as 180, and that was after I had stupidly eaten a handful of dates. Yipes! I ran right out to the exercise bike and pedaled away some of those points! So if oatmeal is having that effect on me, I think I need to resume testing and find out. Even though I have oatmeal only once a week on average, it would be helpful to know. I have about 15 pounds of organic Canadian oatmeal in storage!

Any thoughts? Comments? Anyone have any experience with this? Am I the only one who's surprised?

Veteran Member

I have no experience, but I am also disturbed, because I finally quit drinking milk (can't get raw milk near enough to me, but I did just discover where to buy raw cheese a few blocks away!) and replaced it with oat/coconut "milk" I make at home. Sigh. I don't have a blood sugar problem that I know of, but then I basically don't go to doctors or do tests, etc...

The only way to know is to test with your blood sugar meter. (Mellow found even one rice tortilla or small serving quinoa messed up her blood sugar for about 4 hours. If she hadn't had a blood sugar meter she would have never known she was that carb sensitive.)
    Your body will tell you if it can handle oatmeal.
    Last edited by Reesacat; 10-23-11 at 06:23 PM.

Islander, he also is talking about skim milk and fruit...no mention of eating it with fat. I have a feeling butter or whole fat milk would lower those numbers some. As to my carb sensitivity, back in March I got worried because my HgA1C had gone from 5.3 to 5.6 in less than 6 months. Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are rampant in my family (although thus far, this generation has been spared) I talked the doc into giving me a meter and I started checking. I was already eating pretty low carb but for years, my fasting BG has always been in the high 90s. At the time, I was eating one brown rice tortilla/day and occasionally would have a cup of cooked quinoa (with lots of meat and fat and veggies). When I ate the quinoa, my BG would go up to 155 to 170 for 2 to 3 hours; the brown rice tortilla; up to at least 160. Then, I was out with my daughter and caught at meal time with nothing with me and I ended up eating just 2 slices of cheese pizza. Within an hour, my BG was 199 and stayed there for the next 3 hours. That convinced me to drop carbs again. Back in August, another HgA1C was done and it had dropped to 5.2. Eating just meat, fat and very low carb veggies, my BG never goes above 107. My fasting blood sugar has dropped from 98 to 82. So, a few weeks ago, I bought a sweet potato. Admittedly, it was a fairly large one. I was only going to eat 1/2 but ate the whole thing with lots of butter That raised my BG to 155 to 160 for several hours. My conclusion; my body cannot handle carbs and if I don't want to be diabetic, I can't eat them, period. Dr. Bernstein and others say that a "normal" person would not go over 120 no matter what they ate. That's sobering! Interestingly, when I did the salivary cortisol test back in 2008, insulin measured <5 both fasting and after eating. I think I'm a closet diabetic, lol...but I know what to do to make sure it never happens!

Veteran Member

I also was wondering if eating it with fat would mitigate the negative effects, and since I put an equal amount of coconut (which definitely has coconut oil in it--I can see it in my sink when I wash the blender!) in my coconut oat milk, maybe I'm okay. You think?

I would think how you felt after eating it would be helpful.
    If your pulse races, you have an allergy to the food.
    If you feel sluggish and sleepy, it's stressing your system.
    If you feel like you can leap tall buildings in a single bound and don't get hungry for 3-4 hours, it's probably something your body likes.

Ha. I feel none of those things after a meal, ever. I just feel, um, satisfied. But then, you know my history, I never react to anything!

Thread Information