Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Drink Bicarbonate of Soda for Health

Default How to Drink Bicarbonate of Soda for Health

Chyrene Pendleto
    April 01, 2011

Bicarbonate of soda, better known as baking soda or sodium bicarbonate, has numerous uses--it's a cleaning agent, antacid, fire extinguisher and more. There also are interesting health benefits when you drink baking soda, which is alkaline, in water. Viruses and diseases such as colds, flu, cancer and even heart disease thrive in an acidic body, but cannot survive when your body is alkaline. The 2009 Journal of the American Society of Nephrology revealed a study of 134 patients with advanced kidney disease. Taking baking soda daily dramatically slowed down the progression of kidney disease, resulting in no need for dialysis.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_5616960_drin...da-health.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: How to Drink Bicarbonate of Soda for Health

"Create a healthy body by keeping your body's pH between 7.1 and 7.5". The body tolerates variations in pH probably less than just about anything else I can imagine. "Normal" blood pH is 7.35 to 7.45. Even minuscule changes above or below these levels result in serious illness and it doesn't take that much to kill you. Therefore, I'm really hoping this person meant urine or saliva! At the very bottom, under tips and warnings, they do talk about getting strips to test saliva or urine but this information needs to be with the article!

Going to play devil's advocate here because, as much as I've researched this topic, I'm still not sure that is is either safe or effective in changing anything. It would take much higher doses at least 3 times a day to affect pH long enough to make a significant difference in blood pH. There are drawbacks to frequently taking sodium bicarb too. The body is amazing. Feed it right (for YOUR body) and it keeps things pretty perfectly balanced. There can be side effects too: Nausea, bloating, diarrhea and rebound hyper-acidity. Research and know how to read your body before jumping into something like this.
    Last edited by Islander; 12-16-11 at 10:12 AM.

Appreciate your pointing that out, Mellow.

I eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. My urine pH is a hair above 7. Maybe I'm doing something right

I think the fresh fruits and veggies are the best way to keep a bit alkaline. Bicarbonate of soda is wonderful — but it is very strong and should be used for a short-term fix.
    I woke up feeling like I have been hit by a Mack Truck and started a large dose Vitamin D, Liposomal Vitamin C, and am fixing (that is proper English in the South) to take a dose of bicarb in a bit.
    Everyone goes nutz at Christmas in my area, eats sugar out the wazoo and the damp-not-quite-cold-enough-to-freeze-the-viruses climate with all the molds sets off URI and they pass it around.......sigh.............
    Last edited by Islander; 12-18-11 at 03:38 PM.

Hey, it's cold enough here to freeze the ████ off a ████ ██████ but viruses still thrive. I think they ride around inside us nice toasty-warm humans....and jump ship to a new host!

I posted the doses for baking soda for colds and flu at:
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ead.php?t=8579

but also for this thread:
    Recommended dosages from the Arm and Hammer Company for colds and influenza back in 1925 were:
    During the first day take six doses of half teaspoonful of Arm & Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at about two hour intervals.

During the second day take four doses of half teaspoonful of Arm and Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at the same intervals.

During the third day take two doses of half teaspoonful of Arm and Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water morning and evening, and thereafter half teaspoonful in glass of cool water each morning until cold is cured.
    http://sodiumbicarbonate.imva.info/i...-soda-company/

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Bicarbonate of soda is wonderful — but it is very strong and should be used for a short-term fix.
    Can we highlight this part? :)

Hope you feel better soon, Reesacat.

Feel better quickly Reesacat. GO VITAMIN D!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Hey, it's cold enough here to freeze the ████ off a ████ ██████ but viruses still thrive. I think they ride around inside us nice toasty-warm humans....and jump ship to a new host!
    Gee, you can't say "balls off a brass monkey on this site? Allow me to tell y'all (good Southern term)( by the way Reesacat it's fixin', not fixing) the origin of this term. On wind driven war ships cannon balls were stacked in piles of 30 (16, then 9, then 4 with one on top). Trouble is the stacks would collapse when the boat rocked. So they were stacked on a metal plate made of iron with 16 indentions for the bottom level. These were called "ball monkeys. The iron on iron interface would rust and fuse the balls to the plate. So they started to make them out of brass. Trouble is brass contracts more than iron. So when it got really cold the brass would shrink and the balls would tumble off. Therefore it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

Oh, I've said worse than that, Stephen. I was just being cute. Getting ready for when SOPA is enacted and the 'Net truly will be censored, just like in China.

Thanks for the historical note. I believe another expression is "colder than a witch's tit," though why hers should be colder than anyone else's has always puzzled me. Maybe you have another historical note for us?

TY Islander for the highlight.
    StephenX, great story about the brass balls.....you are right about the correct spelling for fixin'.......
    :::: dramatically raises hand to brow to fend off attack of the Vapours::::::
    Ah must have got a Dahmn YANKEE Spellcheck the last Apple Update!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I believe another expression is "colder than a witch's tit," though why hers should be colder than anyone else's has always puzzled me. Maybe you have another historical note for us?
    I actually know the answer to this one...it comes from an old saying "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    I actually know the answer to this one...it comes from an old saying "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra
    LOL @ Mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    TY Islander for the highlight.
    StephenX, great story about the brass balls.....you are right about the correct spelling for fixin'.......
    :::: dramatically raises hand to brow to fend off attack of the Vapours::::::
    Ah must have got a Dahmn YANKEE Spellcheck the last Apple Update!!!!
    Watch out about that "dahmn Yankee" stuff. In June of 1863 West Virginia seceded from Virginia and became a Yankee state. Oh, the humanity!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information