Thread: Gluten Can Cause Kidney Failure

Default Gluten Can Cause Kidney Failure

Dr. Peter Osborn
    October 14, 2010

I have personally seen a number of patients recover from different stages of kidney failure using a TRUE gluten free diet as part of their treatment plan. Most recently, a gentlemen in stage III kidney failure. In this case kidney function was restored in less than two months after going on a gluten free diet.

Nutritional Advice From Doctors and Hospitals
    Very commonly, kidney failure is associated with heart disease. The standard heart healthy diet recommendations are geared to high levels of whole grain intake. Subsequently, many of these patients are instructed to eat a diet high in whole grains and low in proteins. This combination is deadly for those with gluten induced kidney damage. If you are not sure whether gluten is playing a role in your disease, get genetically tested for gluten sensitivity.

If you have kidney disease, make sure your doctor checks your 25 OH D levels (vitamin D). Additionally, make sure that he measures for other nutritional deficiencies as well. Malabsorption is a common cause of secondary diseases for those with intolerance or sensitivity to gluten.

Source: Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009 Nov;24(11):3545-8.

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...s-the-kidneys/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Gluten Can Cause Kidney Failure

This is absolutely amazing that going gluten-free can reverse some kidney disease to keep from kidney failure/dialysis. Conventional medicine has no answer for what causes or reverses kidney disease, so this is a great breakthrough.
    I had a few patients that were on dialysis and they had very little quality of life.
    Since gluten intolerance and diabetes are linked, this would also apply as one of the complications of diabetes is kidney disease and kidney failure.

Going to that link gives you the option of viewing a 10-minute video which I found informative. I want to send it to my son-in-law who is not interested in my opinions regarding his health, but who has been experiencing various GI upsets for six months, maybe a year, and despite having no diagnosis, has been "tested" and told he is not celiac or gluten-intolerant. As Dr. Osborne says (I'm paraphrasing), the gut is a tube going from the mouth to the anus. What goes through it is food. If you have inflammation, IBS, etc., what should you be looking at first? ..Seems so obvious....

People have the wrong impression about gluten. They think if they do not have celiac they are in the clear. But gluten can be subtle and build its effects year by year. Vegetarians must beware as there are many meat substitutes that are loaded with gluten (it makes those veggie dogs stick together). I have never seen the need to eat fake meat; but I know a lot of vegetarians who wolf down lots of fake luncheon meats, veggie hot dogs and things like tofurky; and the subtle inflammation slowly builds until the day things go south. I do not care who you are, if you are looking at a product and wheat gluten is the first or second ingredient put it down and walk away. If you want to avoid gluten you must go nearly grain free. I use buckwheat flour for my pancakes. I put in dried cranberries and walnuts. Put organic butter and real maple syrup on top....oh,man are they good. I have baked great bread using sorghum (millet) flour. Buckwheat and millet are not grass grains as they are the seeds of dicot plants and contain no gluten.

Stephen, I too do buckwheat pancakes from time to time. When I say, "from time to time," I mean rarely, because they are SO spongy and I want to drench them in maple syrup. I'm diabetic, remember, and have retty much reversed my condition...but I don't want to play with fire.

And I don't care what you say, pancakes are just not pancakes unless they are lying in a puddle of maple syrup!

Spot on StephenX. We also use a almond flour.
    The process of producing fake meat also produces free glutamate, the active ingredient in MSG, which is a neurotoxin and should be avoided.

Thread Information