PDA

View Full Version : Passion, animosity dominate the conversation over obesity

Islander
05-14-12, 04:07 PM
Reuters TV
May 10, 2012

Sharon Begley, Reuters’ senior U.S. health and science correspondent, talks about her recent coverage of America’s obesity epidemic and the emotional reader reaction it generated.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/05/10/reuters-tv-passion-animosity-dominate-the-conversat?videoId=234735319&videoChannel=117772

Reesacat
05-14-12, 06:01 PM
Fascinating bit of video.....I have seen the prejudice in the medical field against overweight patients....before I got sick and gained weight I thought weight gain was simple lack of self-control. Then I got sick, crashed my thyroid and wasn't able to exercise....

mellowsong
05-15-12, 08:49 AM
Here's just one example of medical prejudice: I'm lying in the ER with a heart rate over 200, severe chest pain and pretty bad asthma attack. The very first line of my ER record: Obese female in no acute distress!

bmc65
05-15-12, 09:29 AM
Geez. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences Dawn and Patty.
This seems like a good place to mention a movie I watched last night called Bag It about single use throw away plastics. There was a portion of the movie devoted to our chemical burden and it's health consequences. Before seeing it, I've pretty much have only been focusing on our food industry and the toxic inert calories they push on people as the culprit of increased obesity. I've certainly thought about chemicals in regards to other health issues like cancer and Alzheimer's, but I had an ah ha moment about chemicals and obesity as well after seeing the list of health problems associated with BPA and such. Obesity was included along with type 11 diabetes, and many more illness I already suspected.
What is really maddening about the attitude toward obese people by much of the medical community is that the education they give to treat it is completely wrong and does nothing to eliminate the actual cause.

Now an aside about the movie. I recommend watching it, but be warned it's disturbing. The movie tries to keep the message light and ends with the movie maker claiming that some plastic is okay, "we just need to all do our part as individuals and use less", but the true message conveyed by the film is that the earth is already totally fubared and our only hope is an immediate all-out-ban on all, or very nearly all plastic.

Islander
05-15-12, 11:22 AM
Thanks for that, bmc, and especially for the review. It's the next film on our DDATT schedule, Friday, June 1. Looking forward to seeing it, nice to know what to expect!

Aaltrude
05-15-12, 03:25 PM
Is the movie available on line?

bmc65
05-15-12, 07:30 PM
I didn't see a way to view it on line, but there is a website I just googled and a DVD for purchase. We watched through Netflix.

Aaltrude
05-15-12, 07:37 PM
Thanks bmc. It will have to wait then We have other priorities with our money at the moment.