mellowsong
05-20-12, 09:12 PM
Free Range Mama
30 April 2012

So here is my borax-free dishwasher detergent recipe:
1 cup baking soda
1/3 c. citric acid
1/3 c. coarse salt
10-15 drops of citrus essential oil (Optional. Orange, grapefruit, or lemon essential oils have great cleaning as well as antibacterial properties.)
Homemade citrus vinegar cleaner

Read more: http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog/wordpress/homemade-borax-free-dishwasher-detergent-with-secret-ingredient/

Islander
05-21-12, 01:13 AM
Sounds great, for people with dishwashers. I have so few, I wash them in the sink with a few drops of an eco friendly brand. I know most modern homes have one, but I personally think they are water and energy hogs. I frankly don't mind doing dishes for a dinner party of 8-10.

Katee
05-21-12, 01:40 AM
Yay! I've wanted a good recipe for this.

Islander, they have done studies that show that dishwashing in a machine uses less water than the way most people wash by hand. I had not had a dishwasher for years and years when we put this one in our house. It makes things better, some, because i don't have the energy to stand and do dishes much. But i'm very selective what i will put in it, and so i still do a lot by hand.

The citric acid in this recipe, i that the powdered vitamin C i have?

Islander
05-21-12, 09:49 AM
Islander, they have done studies that show that dishwashing in a machine uses less water than the way most people wash by hand.
I have no doubt that's true. But you haven't seen me wash dishes!
Remember, when you look up "frugal" in the dictionary there's a picture of me.

Katee
05-21-12, 10:05 AM
I have no doubt that's true. But you haven't seen me wash dishes!
Remember, when you look up "frugal" in the dictionary there's a picture of me.

Well, that's why i said "most people." I had a feeling that you probably don't fit into that category. :)

mellowsong
05-21-12, 03:55 PM
The citric acid in this recipe, i that the powdered vitamin C i have?

No, citric acid is readily available with canning jars and other products. I have no idea if ascorbic acid could be substituted, but probably.

I do use a dishwasher because by the time I've cooked etc, I simply don't have the energy left to stand and wash dishes. I run the dishwasher at most twice a week except when I do bulk cooking.

Pattypans
05-31-12, 06:59 PM
I don't use or have a dishwasher (except us human ones) but even if I did, I wouldn't have enough dishes to only wash them twice a week!

mellowsong
05-31-12, 10:55 PM
I don't use or have a dishwasher (except us human ones) but even if I did, I wouldn't have enough dishes to only wash them twice a week!

LOL: There's only me and I'll admit to rinsing and reusing or hand washing a dish or 2 when necessary.

Pattypans
08-28-12, 05:47 AM
Plus, as Islander said, there are frugal ways of "hand-washing" dishes. Number one, you don't leave the water running while you're washing. You soap the dishes up, then rinse. That's just a starter.