PDA

View Full Version : How to Make your own Laundry Soap (another one)

Islander
05-31-12, 09:31 AM
I like this set of instructions because of the pictures and the clever way she set up the dispenser.

Jeana
May 10, 2008

I did a lot of research online to find as much information as I could about making my own laundry soap. What I found was that pretty much all the recipes are essentially the same, some people use more or less of each ingredient, and that bath soap does not clean as well as laundry soap. I also learned that this is great for High Efficiency washers because it makes little to no suds (FYI the suds in store bought laundry detergent are for looks only and don't actually have anything to do with cleaning.)

Read more: http://frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-soap.html

Reesacat
05-31-12, 10:31 AM
Her idea of using a Downy Ball to do vinegar in the rinse cycle was very good.

Islander
05-31-12, 10:34 AM
I like her dispenser too!
What's a Downy ball?

Reesacat
05-31-12, 10:38 AM
A Downy Ball is a commercial fabric softener dispenser. You can buy it alone and put vinegar in it for a fabric softener (or just add 1/2 cup vinegar to rinse cycle).

http://media.downy.com//images/common/proddetail/products/downy_ball.png

Islander
05-31-12, 10:39 AM
Oh, thx. I already add the vinegar, guess I don't need a special dispenser to do that!

Reesacat
05-31-12, 10:42 AM
If you can't babysit the wash, putting vinegar in the Downy Ball when you start it will help as Jeana advised.
I like to have options for when I am having a bad day and I need to start stuff and then lie down. I will start the wash, crock pot, dishwasher, etc. and go rest! I hear all that humming while my awesome appliances are doing the work and feel good LOL!

Islander
05-31-12, 10:56 AM
Do. Not. Understand. Must be having a slow acceleration this morning. You put the ball in at beginning of wash? How does it know when to dispense vinegar?
Oh nemmine. I do a second rinse so have to rewind the machine anyway, and that's when I add vinegar — to the FINAL rinse.

Reesacat
05-31-12, 11:01 AM
It is an automatic fabric softener dispenser. Some how they built a thingy that knows when to dump it in the rinse cycle. You load, drop it in at the beginning of the wash cycle, and it dumps the vinegar (or fabric softener) in the rinse cycle.

Reesacat
05-31-12, 11:02 AM
I just use soap nuts. No mixing, measuring, and they have built in fabric softener.

Islander
05-31-12, 11:14 AM
Thank yoiu. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the 19th century....

Aaltrude
05-31-12, 02:41 PM
I just use soap nuts. No mixing, measuring, and they have built in fabric softener.
Like. 291