PDA

View Full Version : The Many Uses of Baking Soda in Survival Situations

Islander
06-04-12, 10:14 AM
"Guest post by Jim"
June 3, 2012

The world is on the brink of destruction and I have all my preps together; my water, food, fire making gear, guns and ammo, 3 different combat knives, 5 types of camo, water filters, night vision goggles, camping gear, a bug out vehicle, a bug out location and a plan. I also have 20 pounds of baking soda.
BAKING SODA?
Yes, baking soda. After the balloon goes up, off grid, in the post-apocalypse zombie-filled world, there are tons of uses for baking soda. Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, helps regulate pH, keeping a substance not too acidic or too alkaline.
When baking soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, its natural effect is to neutralize that pH. It releases bubbles of carbon dioxide when it interacts with an acid and a liquid. Beyond that, baking soda has the ability to retard further changes in the pH balance, known as buffering. This capability of neutralizing and buffering allows baking soda to do things such as neutralize acidic odors.

Read more...much more...http://www.doomandbloom.net/2012/06/3599.html

Aaltrude
06-04-12, 03:23 PM
We have a large bag of baking soda on hand. I don't remember the size of it but it is considerably more than 20 pounds. We have used baking soda as a cleaning agent for quite a while and when we had the opportunity to purchase this bag at approx US$8, we jumped at the chance. So far we have used only a tiny fraction of it.

Aaltrude
06-04-12, 03:28 PM
The article says
"First and foremost, come the end of civilization you better not mess with my coffee".
It appears one thing this person has not yet realised is that there probably won't be any coffee available.

Also
"Don’t forget you can still use it as a leavening agent when making bread".
The other ingredients for making bread will probably not be available. For instance, it is unlikely there will be grain available in sufficient quantities and even if there is, how will it be ground?

Islander
06-04-12, 04:25 PM
Well, first, I think the guy has a sense of humor. You'd best not mess with my coffee either — I do have a supply on hand!

And these so-called preppers take stocking up seriously. They have rodent-proof containers of various foodstuffs, bottled water (I wanna say dehydrated water)...canned & dried food...flour, sugar, rice, pasta etc. ... and entire rooms devoted to this pursuit. So don't go messin' with his coffee!

highlander
06-04-12, 10:47 PM
I wonder if they know that they can't live very long on food like that? Sure, they'll get by for a while but all that stuff is dead. Ironic.

Aaltrude
06-04-12, 11:02 PM
Exactly what I was thinking highlander. Long term a productive vegetable garden is a more viable option.

highlander
06-05-12, 06:07 PM
Like in the movie The Matrix where humans lived underground for generations -- It's amazing that some people think that's possible.