PDA

View Full Version : Gastric Bypass Surgery Doubles Risk of Alcoholism

mellowsong
06-18-12, 07:55 PM
CBS News Staff (no author listed)
18 June 2012

Patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery, the most common type of obesity surgery, may increase their odds of becoming an alcoholic, according to a new study.

The study found that patients who underwent the procedure - which shrinks the stomach's size and attaches it to a lower portion of the intestines to limit food and calorie intake - doubled their risk for excessive drinking compared with those who had less drastic weight-loss surgeries.
Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57455416-10391704/gastric-bypass-surgery-may-double-a-patients-risk-for-alcohol-problems/

Mr. Wizard
06-18-12, 08:13 PM
Very curious study--for two reasons. First, most of the excessive drinking didn't begin until two (2) yrs. after the surgery. Second, researchers believe gastric bypass surgery changes how the body digests and metabolizes alcohol. This is very curious given that most alcohol is metabolized by the liver. Gastric bypass surgery involves the stomach and the lower intestines. So, I'm guessing it must have something to do with how the stomach deals with the alcohol....??? Really curious.

mellowsong
06-18-12, 10:06 PM
@Mr. Wizard: I actually saw this on the news tonight, then went looking for the story. You are right, they used the wrong word when they said metabolism...they should have said absorption. What they said on the news was, that the stomach, being so much smaller, rapidly dumps alcohol into the small intestine. It is almost immediate and the entire quantity, not slowed down by food. From the intestines, it is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. Apparently it takes much less alcohol to cause a buzz in a person who has had gastric bypass. I have to wonder too, if maybe there is a transference of addiction....from food to alcohol? There is definitely some kind of genetic link to addiction.

Islander
06-18-12, 11:26 PM
A member of my Facebook Climate group is an addiction expert and I've bookmarked parts of his site. I want to come back to this.

But I tell you what: if surgery limited me to a cup of food day for the rest of my life, you can bet I'd be operating the corkscrew! That's harsh!