PDA

View Full Version : 21 Amazing Alternate Uses for Vodka

Islander
07-02-12, 11:32 AM
no author listed
March 11, 2012

If you’re a fan of vodka, you know that its smoothness and versatility make it the perfect drink to pair with pretty much any mixer. There’s no end to the praises to be sung about this uniquely intoxicating alcohol, but did you know that there are plenty of other uses for vodka? It turns out that it’s actually a pretty handy substance to have around.

1. To remove a bandage painlessly, saturate the bandage with vodka. The solvent dissolves the adhesive.

2. To clean the caulking around bathtubs and showers, fill a trigger-spray bottle with vodka, spray the caulking, let set five minutes and wash clean. The alcohol in the vodka kills mold and mildew.

Read more: http://lifehackery.com/2008/03/11/21-amazing-alternate-uses-for-vodka/ (http://lifehackery.com/2008/03/11/21-amazing-alternate-uses-for-vodka/)

mellowsong
07-02-12, 12:59 PM
Interesting :) Vodka is also good for making your own vanilla extract, stevia extract and virtually any kind of herbal extract.

Katee
07-02-12, 03:14 PM
I've not done it yet, but we bought some potato vodka to make vanilla and almond extracts. Potato vodka is suppose to be safe for folks who are gluten-free. Hadn't thought of stevia extract. Thanks, Mellow.

Aaltrude
07-02-12, 04:44 PM
In theory, any alcoholic drink that is produced by distillation should be gluten free. The gluten does not get through the distillation process. I still drink whiskey occasionally and have no problems.

With so many ways it can be very useful it is a pity it is so expensive or at least it is in New Zealand. 700ml costs approx NZ$45 to NZ$50.

Pattypans
07-02-12, 05:31 PM
I've got some vanilla beans in vodka right now. (Someone in my organic co-op got them at wholesale price, putting everybody's orders together. They were cheaper than non-organic ones.) I had to ask my daughter in law what vodka was good enough for making vanilla but not terribly expensive. She knew. Don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable.

Maurya
07-02-12, 05:57 PM
I wonder if rum would be useful for many of these functions. Rum is quite inexpensive here, while vodka is not so much. (Rum, distilled from sugar cane would be gluten free, as well.)

Islander
07-02-12, 05:58 PM
You can pay an arm & a leg for elite brands like Gray Goose, but I think vodka is basically vodka. Especially if you plan to use it rather than mix it for consumption, by all means get the cheapest available!

Julieanne
07-03-12, 06:20 AM
'By all means get the cheapest available'.

No such thing in Oz - same as Aaltrude. Around $40 a bottle.

(Why is the quote thingy not working for me? Sometimes it does, other times it doesn't.

bmc65
07-03-12, 11:13 AM
We can get a big bottle cheap for around 13 - 15 bucks, but for many applications vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are cheaper and do the same thing. I should get a bottle though.

Reesacat
07-03-12, 12:00 PM
I use rum in coffee for pain med occasionally — I seem to not tolerate whiskey (they use GMO corn here) and even potato vodka I don't tolerate well.....supposedly no gluten in distilled liquors but might be something else.

bmc65
07-03-12, 02:11 PM
I use rum in coffee for pain med occasionally — I seem to not tolerate whiskey (they use GMO corn here) and even potato vodka I don't tolerate well.....supposedly no gluten in distilled liquors but might be something else.
At some point in the near future I'll be experimenting on tequila ::hick:: I'll let you guys know how well I tolerate it.

highlander
07-03-12, 11:43 PM
You can soak gummy bears in vodka. They swell up. You eat them. You, too, can get tipsy. I know this is completely useless; but it just jumped in my brain and out my fingers before I could stop it.