PDA

View Full Version : Portion Sizes In Restaurants Quadruple Since 1950's

Reesacat
07-12-12, 01:45 PM
Mike Barrett
July 7, 2012

It seems that while obesity rates have risen over the decades, so have portion sizes – not a particularly surprising connection. In fact, an incredibly alarming infographic helps to show that not only have meal sizes increased in size over the decades, but restaurant portion sizes have quadrupled since the 1950′s.

Could this be the reason for the ballooning obesity epidemic? The infographic created by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention shows that hamburgers and french fry meals have tripled in size over the decades, while a cup of fountain soda is a whopping 6 times larger today than it used to be. A 2.4oz portion of french fries has grown to 6.7oz; hamburgers from 3.9oz to 12oz; and soda from 7oz to 42oz.

What may be even worse is that accompanied by this massive increase in portion sizes is the heavy use of harmful and toxic ingredients.

To read the rest of the article go to:
http://naturalsociety.com/portion-sizes-restaurants-quadruple/

sunflowerz
07-12-12, 03:51 PM
Haven't read the article - and I do intend to - I feel it is just ONE cause for the obesity. Lack of getting the body in motion, is another. People do NOT take the time to chew, swallowing indigestible amounts of food that sit and ferment to possibly LEAK thru causing all kinds of reactions/inflammation - not to mention not allowing the stomach to send the needed messages to the brain that one is satiated. So, more and more - faster and faster - until we POP!

And I do agree the food being prepared in MOST restaurants - be they "fast food" or other, is just lacking in any nutritional value. I know HALLS where many large parties/weddings, etc., are held do NOT offer nutritional meals. Even the salad is useless. Sad.

Reesacat
07-12-12, 04:13 PM
Agree -- salad is usually lettuce with nasty bottled dressing, fake cheese and Wonder Bread croutons with an anemic cherry tomato for garnish....

sunflowerz
07-12-12, 04:40 PM
Oh, Reesacat you would NOT believe what this hall tried to pass off as food. OMG! My dd got me the gig as a way to be current on a resume - since it's been awhile that I was employed - and I broke out in hives each and every time I worked there. All over my legs. It was awful. Institutional type food - made with the most inexpensive oils, dressings, Oh gag. The bottles of hot sauce that some would request had MOLD ALL OVER THEM!

mellowsong
07-12-12, 06:20 PM
What may be even worse is that accompanied by this massive increase in portion sizes is the heavy use of harmful and toxic ingredients.

I am absolutely delighted to see this brought out in an article. So often, that part of the equation is overlooked, even by "natural health" authors.

highlander
07-12-12, 06:32 PM
Restaurant food is usually not really "food" by my definition. Nor is most of the "food" the average person eats. They load up plates with rice, pasta, potatoes and breads that are loaded with bad fats such as margarine or processed cheese all sitting on or next to some piece of meat from an animal that most likely had a miserable existence. Veggies and fruit are like garnishes. Anemic is the right word Reesacat. And since it's all garbage it's way over priced but they give you an enormous amount so you have the illusion of value. If the meals were actually quality food they'd probably be too expensive for your average person.