PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Oven Cleaner

mellowsong
07-20-12, 12:03 PM
Karyn Siegel-Maier in her book The Naturally Clean Home:

1/2 c. sea salt
1/4 c. washing soda
2 c. baking soda
Combine in container. Add enough water to make a paste (approximately 1/4 cup). Remove oven racks and preheat oven to 250 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the door open. Spread the paste on oven walls with a sponge or cloth and allow to set for 30 minutes. Combine 3/4 cup white vinegar and 20 drops essential oil of choice (lemon and thyme work well together). Spray the oven walls and wipe clean. Rinse well.
http://www.moldrecovery.blogspot.com/2012/05/homemade-oven-cleaner.html

Pattypans
07-21-12, 09:48 AM
It's frustrating to me that so many of the home-made recipes for non-toxic household cleaners call for ingredients I can't get here. Take boric acid for anti-cockroach balls and borax for homemade laundry detergent: can't get them without authorization from a government agency! I'd have to find out what washing soda is even called here, and I have a feeling that won't be easy. That said, cleaning the oven is one of those household jobs I hate doing.

Looks like an interesting blog, though. I think I'll check it out.

mellowsong
07-21-12, 09:52 AM
Washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash. It should be readily available in the laundry detergent section of your grocery store...at least it is here. What I get is Arm and Hammer in a rectangular cardboard box.

Pattypans
07-21-12, 01:58 PM
Thanks, mellow. It's definitely not available in my grocery store, but now that I know its scientific name, so to speak, I can begin the search.