PDA

View Full Version : Spiders Hate Peppermint

mellowsong
07-20-12, 12:05 PM
Add peppermint essential oil into a spray bottle with water or use it straight! Spray wherever you spiders are entering your home... door frames, windows, any small cracks, corners of the ceilings and bathrooms to keep them out of your house.
http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/07/peppermint-oil.html

StephenX
07-20-12, 03:37 PM
I've used oil of pennyroyal with the same results. We have had real problems with spiders on our boat. They poop all over the deck and it's tough to clean off. Most people spray insecticide on their mooring lines; but we use pennyroyal. Works well.

Islander
07-20-12, 03:40 PM
Pennyroyal deters houseflies too, and probably lots of other things...

highlander
07-20-12, 11:05 PM
This is really good to know. Spiders have always loved me for some reason so now I'm an arachnophobe. I hate to kill them. I usually take them outside (while freaking out).

Julieanne
07-21-12, 05:45 AM
Thank you mellow. I read on more than one site that peppermint oil deters mice. I soaked cotton balls in p. oil, and the kitchen cupboards smelt minty for weeks, but it didn't worry the mice!

mellowsong
07-21-12, 10:04 AM
I can actually tolerate mint, have peppermint oil and hate spiders. When I find the energy I intend to do this. However, the cotton ball idea sounds easier than spraying everywhere and less likely to leave stains on walls etc. Thanks for that idea Julieanne :)