PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation for Primal Eating

Maurya
08-05-12, 12:34 PM
Many of you already know that one of my favorite authors on this topic is Nora Gedgaudas. Her book Primal Body - Primal Mind has a new edition since last summer. I would heartily recommend this one to readers interested in the topic.

mellowsong
08-05-12, 06:58 PM
Maurya, Amazon has it for Kindle but the date is 27 May 2011. You are saying there is a newer edition or is that the newest? Just want to make sure. Thanks :)

Reesacat
08-05-12, 07:15 PM
Nora Gegdaudas also has videos on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nora+gedgaudas&oq=nora+&gs_l=youtube.1.0.35i39j0l2j0i10j0l3j0i10j0j0i10.11 22.2221.0.4891.5.5.0.0.0.0.205.547.3j1j1.5.0...0.0 ...1ac.1A3qJ_qhg4o

Maurya
08-05-12, 08:57 PM
Mellowsong, I had been thinking that the newer edition had been published last summer, but late May 2011 seems about right. My understanding is that there only had been the first edition, and then the newer, expanded edition. I subscribe to her stuff, and nothing in book form has come out since last year. She has some interesting ideas about mTor that I have not seen anywhere else. I have met her, and she certainly looks to be a good example of practicing what she preaches.

mellowsong
08-05-12, 09:11 PM
Thanks Maurya. You have piqued my interest in her and I know Reesacat has been watching videos so I think I might get the book :)

Islander
08-05-12, 09:34 PM
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the earlier edition Maurya gave me. Some is familiar, some is new, and much is in far greater detail than I have seen anywhere. She's a treasure of information and an inspiration as well!

mellowsong
08-06-12, 09:16 AM
I got it last night...haven't started reading it yet. Wish Dr. Wahl's book was on Kindle. Can't believe I bought a Kindle but it was getting to the point I was going to have to give up reading because of MCS.

bmc65
08-06-12, 12:12 PM
Great stuff. Thanks for putting this up Maury. I want to get the book although I don't know when I'll find the time to read it. Reesacat, thanks for putting up the YouTube video, it's a great intro. I''m going to try and get the hub-type to watch it.
One of the things that came to mind when I was watching the video was this man who came to the ER yesterday. He was a repeat pt, who has become psychotic since coming to the states from Africa. I'm now thinking what is one of the key things that has changed since his coming here? .... Diet most likely.

mellowsong
08-06-12, 03:23 PM
One of the things that came to mind when I was watching the video was this man who came to the ER yesterday. He was a repeat pt, who has become psychotic since coming to the states from Africa. I'm now thinking what is one of the key things that has changed since his coming here? .... Diet most likely.

I think you're probably spot on!

Islander
08-06-12, 05:15 PM
I went to the hospital today for a blood draw for vitamin D test. I carry reading material with me wherever I go, and had this book & my highlighter handy. Was asked about it...ended up recommending it to 3 health workers, who all wrote it down. Hooray for getting the word out!

bmc65
08-07-12, 10:17 AM
So glad they listened Islander.

Islander
08-07-12, 11:01 AM
I keep telling people how great my little local hospital is — in contrast to the horror stories I hear. We're the best! Yes...people listen!

bmc65
08-07-12, 11:09 AM
I just tried to do a google search and came up with zilch. Somewhere in the 50 min YouTube talk a fat (femican ??) is mentioned. I've never heard of it, don't know how to spell it, but would like to know more about it. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

mellowsong
08-07-12, 04:10 PM
I just tried to do a google search and came up with zilch. Somewhere in the 50 min YouTube talk a fat (femican ??) is mentioned. I've never heard of it, don't know how to spell it, but would like to know more about it. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Pretty sure you mean PEMMICAN. It is a mixture of meat, fat and fruits which originally was slowed dried over an open fire but now is done in the oven or a dehydrator.

Maurya
08-07-12, 04:36 PM
What Mellowsong said; the point being that pemmican is a food very high in animal fat. People survived quite well in harsh conditions eating large amounts of pemmican in their daily diet. Today's low-fat, high-sugar world surely would find themselves to be grossed out if offered delicious pemmican.

Reesacat
08-07-12, 05:46 PM
Bmc65, found it in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5Ch0t0HSw at 1hr 38 minutes. It is pemmican as Mellow and Maurya said.

bmc65
08-07-12, 07:32 PM
Thanks non-danglers. Have any of you tried it? I would like to add some different fats to our diet and coconut oil doesn't seem to work for us. After watching the video, I realize we need to cut way back on the grains. It will be hard on my son, and harder on my hub-type who wants easy ways to get our son fed, but I think it's crucial for our health.
How's the book for reading by the way. I'd want the hub-type to possibly read it too, which would be a hurdle and a half.

Islander
08-07-12, 08:04 PM
I've read about pemmican but never ever seen it. I get fats from my own chicken, pastured pork, grass-fed beef & wild Alaska salmon, as well as coconut oil, grass-fed butter and whatever there is in nuts & cheese. bmc, once you begin the material on carbs and diabetes, I think that would scare the pants off anyone.

bmc65
08-08-12, 09:35 AM
After doing a google search on the stuff, it looks as though a good quality brand is difficult to come by. One company seems to sell beef jerky and call it pemmican, I didn't see any lit stating the beef is grass fed. The other brand I saw had a variety of ingredients somewhat like a trail mix bar, but also had stuff like soy. Not lit stating it is organic or non-gmo.

mellowsong
08-08-12, 10:34 AM
Thanks non-danglers. Have any of you tried it? I tried it about 4 years ago and it honestly is really good. It keeps a very very long time too. There's lots of recipes on the web to make it yourself. Here's one example: http://www.grandpappy.info/rpemmica.htm

This discussion now has me thinking about trying this, lol.

bmc65
08-08-12, 01:39 PM
Thanks Mellow, the question now is where to get a good quality animal fat. When I buy grass fed meat at the store, almost all of the fat has already been trimmed. I think I'll google goose fat. Since geese are not readily available in the grocery, perhaps the method of raising them is less factory and more healthy.

Reesacat
08-08-12, 02:28 PM
Just for another healthy fat, Nora Gedgaudas uses organic casein-free ghee.

mellowsong
08-08-12, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mellow, the question now is where to get a good quality animal fat.. You can buy grass fed meat at the store? Amazing, lol. I have a few suggestions: If it is local, find out where it is processed and see if they can save you some fat. Also, do you use bacon? Bacon fat would be great for pemmican. If you roast whole chickens, save the drippings, let the fat solidify and save the fat until you have enough.

Reesacat
08-08-12, 05:12 PM
Listening to Nora Gedgaudas and she recommends US Wellness Meat's pemmican:
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Grassland+Beef%3ABeef+Pemm ican

bmc65
08-08-12, 05:18 PM
I get the grass fed at whole foods. It is from NY, but to difficult to track down or try to get to the farmer. I don't cook bacon although I love it, yum, and I haven't branched into roasting chickens yet. I need to give that a try.
Reesacat, thanks for the name. She's not that easy to hear on my computer, so I couldn't catch the name.