PDA

View Full Version : The Most Potent B Vitamin That Combats Infections Better Than Antibiotics Ever Could

Aaltrude
09-04-12, 08:56 PM
JOHN SUMMERLY
Aug 30, 2012

The Nicotinamide form of vitamin B3 is one of the most potent of blood B vitamins, absorbing four times more into the blood than any other vitamin. Cedars-Sinai researchers have discovered that the vitamin has the potential to provide a powerful weapon to fight superbugs and antibiotic-resistant staph infections that health experts see as a threat to public health. B3 is one of 8 B vitamins. It is also known as niacin (nicotinic acid) and has 2 other forms, niacinamide (nicotinamide) and inositol hexanicotinate, which have different effects from niacin.
Foods high in Nicotinamide (or Vitamin B3) include Brewer's Yeast, Sunflower Seeds, Raw Peanuts and Beets.

Read more: http://preventdisease.com/news/12/083012_The-Most-Powerful-B-Vitamin-That-Combats-Infections-Better-Than-Antibiotics-Ever-Could.shtml?utm_source=083012&utm_campaign=083012&utm_medium=email

Reesacat
09-04-12, 09:47 PM
Fascinating! Mr. Summerly goes on to say:
"When studied in human blood, clinical doses of the vitamin appeared to virtually wipe out the staph infection in only a few hours."

Maurya
09-04-12, 10:15 PM
"It is also known as niacin (nicotinic acid) and has 2 other forms, niacinamide (nicotinamide) and inositol hexanicotinate, which have different effects from niacin." To me it almost seems that these three different forms of vitamin B3 might better be known as three different vitamins, their effects seem to be so different. The article seems at the beginning to be discussing the niacinamide form, although as it goes on, this distinction seems to become less clear. If it were better written, we readers could make more intelligent choices with our hard earned supplement dollar.

sollyb
09-05-12, 10:54 AM
How timely! I have recently started taking niacinamide
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/03/20/ray-peat-phd-on-therapeutic-effect-of-niacinamide/

Julieanne
09-06-12, 06:20 AM
sollyb, can you tell us what for? But not if you would rather keep it private of course. And let us know if it helps.

Mr. Wizard
09-06-12, 07:44 PM
Niacin is also known for its "cholesterol lowering" effect. Specifically, human studies have shown that niacin (only the nicotinic form) lowers LDL and triglycerides, and raises HDL (the so-called good stuff). Also, beware of taking the "time-released" and "extended release" forms of niacin, as research shows these forms can cause liver toxicity. However, the "immediate" release nicotinic acid does not affect the liver, but can cause some people to feel flush or itchy immediately after taking niacin. When this happened to me, I just reduce the amount and the flush feeling stopped.