PDA

View Full Version : Buckwheat: 12 Reasons To Love The Unsung Superfood

Julieanne
09-08-12, 07:14 AM
Michelle Schoffro Cook (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/author/mcook)
September 6, 2012

Unrelated to wheat, buckwheat is actually not a grain at all, but a seed of a plant related to rhubarb. As is often the case with seeds, buckwheat’s nutritional value surpasses grains. Here are 10 reasons to explore and love this unsung superfood.
1. It is low on the glycemic index, preventing rapid spikes in blood sugar which causes inflammation, mood swings, and weight gain.

2. Buckwheat has more protein than corn, millet, rice, or wheat and is high in the amino acids lysine and arginine, both of which tend to be deficient in grains and are essential for a healthy heart and strong immunity to illness.

3. It is naturally gluten-free, making it an excellent option for celiacs, those with gluten allergies, or anyone trying to avoid gluten.

4. Because of its amino acid content, it can boost the protein content of beans and grains eaten in the same day.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/buckwheat-12-reasons-to-love-the-unsung-superfood.html#ixzz25sLtHPCh

highlander
09-08-12, 03:35 PM
Good info. I recently baked some protein thingies using buckwheat flour, almond flour, whey powder, baby food, stevia, egg and spices. One batch was chocolate, one was carrot, and one was pumpkin. I smeared a little coconut oil on them when they were warm.

Reesacat
09-08-12, 06:55 PM
I didn't know buckwheat was a good source of tryptophan....great article Julieanne:)

Reesacat
09-08-12, 06:57 PM
Highlander, your protein thingies sound yummy!

Julieanne
09-09-12, 06:09 AM
I sometimes cook buckwheat instead of rice. But a couple of times after eating this I had a mild stomache ache. I rarely, if ever, react to anything, so I need to try it again to be sure.

Islander
09-09-12, 10:20 AM
I make buckwheat pancakes about once every six weeks. Buckwheat flour has a pronounced taste but I used to enjoy it in pancakes all the way back to the seventies, long before anyone was talking about gluten!

Julieanne
09-10-12, 06:01 AM
We used to be able to buy Aunt Jemima pancake mix years ago - gone now. It was good, but looking back, I was probably not such a keen label reader then - could have had all sorts of additives.

Samurai
01-10-13, 06:16 AM
APPLES: Along with strawberries, oranges, peaches and grapefruit, apples contain pectin
a form of fibre that can make you feel fuller for hours....
?? ?

Islander
01-10-13, 09:44 AM
Not for me.