PDA

View Full Version : Can it! Soda studies cite stronger link to obesity

Islander
09-25-12, 11:05 AM
By Sharon Begley
NEW YORK | Fri Sep 21, 2012

(Reuters) - As Americans debate what is most to blame for the nation's obesity epidemic, researchers say they have the strongest evidence yet that sugary drinks play a leading role and that eliminating them would, more than any other single step, make a huge difference.

Three studies published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine represent the most rigorous effort yet to see if there is a link between sugar-sweetened beverages and expanding U.S. waistlines.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/21/us-obesity-soda-idUSBRE88K17820120921?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

StephenX
09-25-12, 12:19 PM
Trouble is when people switch to zero calorie sodas. Most of these are sweetened with aspartame, another health wrecker. If people could get their sweet tooth to appreciate fresh fruit (not filtered fruit juice, just as bad as soda in my book) they would be far better off. I prefer water as my go to thirst quencher. Trouble there is the amount of fluorides and chlorides that are in tap water. We live in a nutritional mine field. There are poisons everywhere. Despite the expense, I will only buy organic produce and refuse to buy any processed food. I still think buying a Berkey water system was one of the best investments of my life. Now I am researching a whole house filtration system. When one takes a hot shower or bath, the skin can suck up toxins in the water. I've found a whole house system that takes out stuff as well as the Berkey. At $1300 it's pretty steep. I am not rich, but I would think this is another good investment. Hoka hey!

Pattypans
09-26-12, 10:32 AM
There are also shower filter availabe, StephenX. Though if I could afford it, I'd probably do the whole-house thing too.

Pattypans
09-26-12, 10:33 AM
I think sodas, even more than satisfying a sweet tooth, are just a whole addiction in themselves, whether diet or otherwise.

StephenX
10-11-12, 06:33 PM
I think sodas, even more than satisfying a sweet tooth, are just a whole addiction in themselves, whether diet or otherwise.

I agree with you on this statement. Soft drinks are addictive.