PDA

View Full Version : Swerve Sugar Alternative Information

Islander
01-28-13, 10:52 AM
As this was a new product to me, I thought it might be of interest to others as well. Most sites are industry-sponsored and give it high praise. This site seems to give an objective review. I'll let you be the judge.

Bonnie Vanaman
Jul 6, 2011
In light of an obesity epidemic in the United States, manufacturers are rushing to create new products to meet consumer demands for products that will help fight weight gain. Artificial sweeteners have become popular with consumers, and polyols are among the newest types of sugar replacers. The type of polyol found in Swerve has been used in Japan since 1990. Swerve is promoted as an all-natural sweetener with a great taste and few side effects.

Identification

Polyols are also known as sugar alcohols, even though they don't contain alcohol. This class of sweeteners includes isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol and erythritol. Erythritol is the polyol used in Swerve, a sugar alternative created by Catherine Wilbert, N.D., for PhytoCeutical Formulations. Erythritol is made by using microorganisms to break down fruits and vegetables, which yields white crystals after a fermentation process. Ordinarily, erythritol isn't as sweet as sugar, but Dr. Wilbert uses a proprietary formulation that creates a product equivalent to sugar, meaning you can use a cup of Swerve to replace a cup of sugar. Swerve has zero calories and 5 grams of carbohydrates in one teaspoon.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/485874-swerve-sugar-alternative-information/

mellowsong
01-28-13, 11:19 AM
A few caveats:
1: Erythritol is made from corn or wheat starch.
2: Maltodextrin is almost always corn-derived, plus it is high in MSG. I've never seen erythritol without it.
3. Usually fructooligosaccharides such as inulin are added. Some people cannot tolerate these.
4. Sugar alcohols DO increase blood sugar although the effect is variable. Even the American Diabetic Association admits this and recommends taking the carb count and cutting it in 1/2 to estimate carb calories even though packaging will say zero calories.
5. Like they now know with both sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners, using erythritol on an empty stomach will cause an immediate insulin release, followed by hunger and carb cravings leading to insulin resistance and weight gain. At this point research on stevia has not been done but if it is the sweet taste triggering the insulin release, then possibly stevia also causes this response. Even knowing this, not willing to give up my stevia, lol. I could probably go to coffee black but don't think I could drink my ferments without it as I make sure there is no sugar left in them.

So, although this sounds really good, not necessarily so.

Aaltrude
01-28-13, 02:57 PM
I do drink and prefer black coffee. In my early coffee drinking days, I was not happy about the amount of sugar I was consuming in coffee and weaned myself off it by slowly reducing the amount I put in coffee. Now I think it spoils the flavour of coffee. Nowadays about the only sugar I eat are a minute amount in the homemade chutneys I have. The commercial ones are far too sweet and even with the ones I make, I cut back the amount of sugar the recipe states quite drastically.
Then there is the sugar in the one or two squares of organic fair trade dark chocolate I have each day. My favourite is Alter Eco 85% Dark Blackout chocolate:
http://iherb.com/p/46389?rcode=wij464
At least the very dark chocolates have less sugar than the lighter ones.
Other than that I enjoy a Lemon, manuka honey and ginger drink every morning which has one tsp of manuka honey and stevia. Like you Mellow, I could not drop the stevia from this drink. The honey alone is not enough to balance the heaped tbsp of ginger I use and the stevia helps to make it a very delicious drink. The recipe is already in the organic kitchen section of this forum. I use NOW Organic stevia.
http://iherb.com/p/9891?rcode=wij464