PDA

View Full Version : Is Miralax the Next Vioxx?

mellowsong
01-28-13, 05:59 PM
KONSTANTIN MONASTYRSKY
December 2013

Getting mad or forgetful after taking a laxative? Well, according to the US Food and Drug Administration that’s exactly what certain best-selling laxatives can do to you.

Back in December of 2011, the FDA placed MiraLAX — a polyethylene glycol-containing blockbuster drug marketed by Merck & Co — on its Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) in connection to “neuropsychiatric events.”

Besides MiraLAX, this warning also applies to Movicol, Dulcolax, Colyte, Colovage, Co-Lav, Clensz-Lyte, ClearLax, GoLYTELY, GaviLyte C, GlycoLax, Go-Evac, GlycoPrep, E-Z-Em Fortrans, Halflytely, Lax-a-Day, LaxLyte, MoviPrep, Macrogol, NuLytely, OCL, Peg-Lyte, Prep Lyte, Softlax, TriLyte, and all other brands with Polyethylene Glycol 3350 (PEG for short) as their active ingredient. The “3350” qualifier refers to the molecular weight of this particular variant of PEG.

Polyethylene glycol is made by stringing together molecules of ethylene glycol into a large polymer chain, hence the prefix poly-, Greek for many. On its own, ethylene glycol is used in automotive antifreeze and brake fluid. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, it is an extremely toxic substance:
Read more: http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/the-role-of-miralax-laxative-in-autism-dementia-alzheimer.html

Reesacat
01-28-13, 06:08 PM
Dang that is scary — I see people chugging that stuff on a daily basis........

Islander
01-28-13, 08:57 PM
Egad, I never understood constipation. It must be the result of a terrible diet or stress and anxiety, yes? After colon cancer surgery the doc gave me some stool softeners, gelcaps, no idea what was in them but happily, I didn't need them even then.

Julieanne
01-29-13, 04:25 AM
You're one tough cookie Islander! From what you say about your diet you should have perfect elimination.

I don't usually have this problem, but over the weekend, for about three days I had prettty stong abdominal cramps and slight constipation. I was on the verge of trying maybe a half teaspoon of Epsom salts as the safest option, but it righted itself. I'll never know what that was about, as I ate and drank nothing I don't have every day. Would Epsom salts have been OK? - after all, it does add some magnesium.

Reesacat
01-29-13, 04:59 PM
I think a small dose of Epsom Salts orally is a safe option for occasional use for mild constipation.

If you have severe kidney disease do not use Epsom Salts.

Katee
01-29-13, 08:07 PM
A "normal dose" of even Magnesium Malate or a tiny dose of Vitamin C cleans me out in a hurry, as does too much tart cherry juice. There is always prune juice, too. In general, not a problem for me.

Why, why why would someone need a prescription for this when there is so much that can be done naturally?