PDA

View Full Version : Organics is about more than just nutrients

Islander
02-01-13, 10:44 AM
Mark Smallwood
(http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com/dissecting-our-health/) February 1, 2013

The end of 2012 raised quite a few eyebrows and much ire as some quiet and some not-so-quiet snubs were aimed at organic foods. First, the Stanford meta-analysis (http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com/why-organic/), which claimed organic foods were “no better” than conventional foods (though their actual findings showed some clear organic benefits). Then, the timid report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/10/15/peds.2012-2579) hesitantly providing a wishy-washy statement for pediatricians to use as a guide when discussing organic foods with patients. And, finally, the betrayal of Dr. Oz, a formerly staunch supporter of eating organic, who tucked tail and spouted support for GMOs (and venom at “elite” organics) like a well-paid industry mouthpiece.

All these messages claim to be focused on “health” and whether or not certain foods help or hinder our progress toward this mystical perfection for which we are all supposed to strive. But, as I was just coming to realize last fall, all these detractors have one thing in common: They narrowly define health in terms of nutrient content. And it struck me: Maybe the problem is we are speaking a different language.

Read more: http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/organics-is-about-more-than-just-nutrients/

Julieanne
02-02-13, 05:31 AM
I look forward to results of the study. There have been so many conflicting studies, but this will be on crops grown side by side in the same soil and environment, so it should be more precise. Gonna take a while though - they are still asking for funding.

bmc65
02-02-13, 12:58 PM
I have mixed feelings. If the study is a success, it would help the organics industry, however, the article suggest we are speaking a different language. I don't want to cave to the conventional way of thinking (only in terms of key nutrients), instead I want to see more push to make the conventional except the organic language, that there is benefits in healthy food that should not be broken down, because the whole food has far more going on.

Islander
02-02-13, 01:17 PM
What I am hoping for is a study that will point out, in terms that cannot be disputed, that organic means more than pesticide-free. It means grown in healthy soil amended with compost and rich in nutrients, and it means free of genetic modification.

Mr. Wizard
02-03-13, 06:44 PM
People who believe studies that conclude there's no difference between organically-grown and conventionally-grown foods want to believe this. I'd love to see a nation-wide "taste test" study, where people get to eat the same organic and conventional foods side by side and then decide right on the spot which taste better. No fooling the taste buds....

Julieanne
02-04-13, 06:26 AM
I'd love to see a nation-wide "taste test" study, where people get to eat the same organic and conventional foods side by side and then decide right on the spot which taste better. No fooling the taste buds....

Mr Wizard, unfortunately that's not always reliable. I watched a TV show many years ago where they did this, and the conventional (think it was stawberry) came out on top. It was probably a question of variety, but the damage was done. Very disappointing! I think it would have to be done like the study they plan on doing - conventional and organic grown side by side, using the same varieties.

Katee
02-04-13, 12:05 PM
I almost always buy organic produce (except the "clean 15 (http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/2012-dirty-dozen-plus-clean-15-buying-organic-000700620.html)").

I love raspberries (and we are trying to grow them, a challenge here). One day i was really in the mood for them but the store was out of organic, so i got the conventional. Never again. No flavor at all. I might as well have been eating plastic for all the taste the conventional ones have.

Duane turned his nose up at the "healthy" food i had early on. When i brought home organic ketchup he was hesitant to try it. Changed his mind quickly when he tasted it. He doesn't want anything else these days.

It's sad that these real differences didn't come out in that taste test, Julieanne.

(I did a quick search for "clean 15" and found the above link. I have the list somewhere, but wanted a link. These 15 are not so clean anymore as sweet corn is now GMO without a label. I've heard pineapple is as well. What's more, the colored links in the middle of this article are antithetical to the purpose of this article: Related: Arsenic found in brown rice syrup, organic foods, baby formulas; organic meat may have higher parasite risk. Of course, i don't usually rely on Yahoo for my news, but many people do.)

wr7476
02-04-13, 10:22 PM
It's also a vote of sorts. If I buy an organic carrot, that money went to an organic farm, not to a commercial pesticide pumping one.