PDA

View Full Version : Calcium question

Islander
10-16-07, 09:55 AM
Mike Adams, whose articles often appear here, has a "reversing diabetes" program that includes a smoothie with coral calcium. My natural food guru is skeptical of coral calcium because it's made from fossilized coral, and she claims our bodies don't absorb fossilized matter well.

Anyone have any thought on sources of calcium and their effectiveness?

mellowsong
10-16-07, 12:37 PM
Calcium, made with organic salts such as citrate or gluconate is much more bioavailable and also aids the body in alkalinity where as inorganic salts such as carbonate and oxide tend to decrease bioavailabiity. Coral calcium is nothing more than Calcium Carbonate, ie TUMS. The other reason I would warn you to stay away from "natural" calcium such as coral calcium and dolomite is heavy metal contamination such as lead. Also, aluminum is a major problem in these forms of calcium also. I'm writing this off the top of my head, but I'm sure I can find articles to back this up if you want. Hope this helps!
Patty

Islander
10-16-07, 01:05 PM
Mellow, the other calcium I had on hand is calcium carbonate, made from oyster shells. So that's a better source?

mellowsong
10-16-07, 01:24 PM
Mellow, the other calcium I had on hand is calcium carbonate, made from oyster shells. So that's a better source? Nope, not good source either. It's the same inorganic salt as coral calcium and tums and thus has very limited bioavailability. Your best bet for calcium believe it or not, is from fermented dairy, especially kefir made from actual grains made with raw milk. If you must take a supplement, go with Calcium citrate or Calcium gluconate.