PDA

View Full Version : Parents don't recognize when their kids are obese

Islander
03-17-13, 10:35 AM
David Gutierrez
Sunday, March 17, 2013

(NaturalNews) Most U.S. parents can't tell when their children are overweight or obese, according to a nationally representative survey conducted by researchers from NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), and Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

The poll was designed to explore parents' perceptions and behaviors surrounding obesity and obesity prevention in their children. It found that while 32 percent of all U.S. children are now classified as overweight or obese, only 15 percent of parents surveyed said their children were "a little" or "very" overweight.

Read more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039512_children_obesity_parents.html

Lovemywesties
03-17-13, 01:31 PM
This is an interesting observation, particularly since most overweight adults apparently don't see themselves as being overweight. It isn't surprising that they would turn the same blind eye to the weight of their children.

Kids were never fat when I was growing up. The difference then was that we were always outdoors moving around instead of watching TV or playing video games. These days kids are constantly bombarded with ads for junk food; they're bombarded by constant peer pressure; and the availability of junk food has steadily increased over the years. Have you ever noticed how many fast food joints are within a block or so of the schools? Add to that the fact that there are soda and junk food vending machines in the schools, and many kids are fed a diet lacking nutrition at home.

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer. Good health begins at home, but if the parents are fat and unhealthy, or uncaring, or just plain ignorant, there isn't a lot anyone else can do. Probably the best answer is education, education, and more education--at home, at school, at the doctor's office. Even then, it will take decades for the information to reach everyone. Meanwhile, a large segment of our population is literally eating itself to death.

Islander
03-17-13, 03:08 PM
My oldest was born in 1966, my youngest in 1980. I could be wrong, but I think at least three of the four went through a "chubby" period around grades 6-8. Even back then most department stores carried a line of "chubby" sizes for kids. Videogames etc. had not been invented; TV time was very limited; we ate organic; all 4 were breast-fed; there was never soda or junk food in the house, and desserts were rare. They all outgrew what we used to call "baby fat," although both of my daughters, like me, have had to struggle with weight issues. So although the issue is clearly related to diet and lifestyle, it's more complex than that.

ETA: I wonder how much is genetic/epigenetic. I was a "chubby" child. When I was 4-5, I was given a dime every summer day to walk a couple of blocks to the candy store to get an ice cream cone. This would have begun the summer after my mother died and I wonder whether caretakers were using food as some sort of comfort mechanism for me...and what effect it had on my physiology, what message it conveyed to my ovaries. My daughters and my sons had different fathers. The boys are tall and lean and have never had weight problems. The girls and I have.

bmc65
03-17-13, 10:25 PM
Diet and environment, hands down. Most American's eat a SAD diet of convenience. With 2 parents working, taking the time to prepare food from scratch is rare. People just don't eat real food anymore. To make matters worse the accumulating toxins in our environment are disrupting our hormones.
One thing I find disturbing is that people are indeed changing their perceptions of size.

mellowsong
03-18-13, 07:03 AM
I was born in 1954. I started gaining weight at about age 7 and it's been a lifelong battle ever since. The weight gain wasn't due to diet, it wasn't due to lack of activity. I spent all my time out of school out in the woods climbing trees or at the beach et cetera. My oldest sister was morbidly obese by the time she was a year old. While I totally agree that much childhood obesity today is a lifestyle and diet problem, there's a whole lot more to it for some people. And believe me, my mother was well aware of our problems. I have a weird fascination with "The Biggest Loser." While I don't agree with most of their dietary advice and many many many of the contestants gain the weight back, including winners, they have some adolescents participating this season. It is bringing attention to the problem and maybe parents will start waking up .

Good-day
03-18-13, 11:41 AM
Exercise and diet challenge for me at present, but good conversation helps with this. I have a child who had a lot of digestive issues when young and severe excema. Any suggestions to help teach satiety? Also has nut and wheat allergy and need healthy snack ideas. I'm told asthma meds not causing weight gain and I do recall this being a growth spurt age.

bmc65
03-18-13, 01:13 PM
Total agreement that there is something else going on Mellow. There are just too many people these days struggling with weight to blame it on individuals. As I said much of the food eaten (beginning around the 50s and increasing each decade) is inert and loaded with ingredients toxic to the body. Our environment is filled with increasing toxins which increasing people are unable to handle. Obesity to me is not an issue of overeating and lack of exercise, it's one of toxic overload.

Islander
03-18-13, 07:22 PM
Good-day, one thought: it takes about 20 minutes for the brain to get the signal that the stomach is full. If children can be made to engage in conversation during mealtimes, to slow down the rate at which food is consumed, the satiety message has better odds of succeeding. In my case, if I talk during a meal, my mouth is not eating — always a good thing! In restaurant situations I bring a half to 2/3 of the meal home because I'm too involved in the conversation to stop to shovel food in my piehole. Having an activity planned after a meal might be helpful too, in that it tends to distract a kid from wanting to linger over the food.

Mr. Wizard
03-18-13, 08:23 PM
I agree with all who said that our toxic environment and other dynamics are playing a role in the obesity crisis!! Also, it doesn't help parents or children to have a Mc Donald's, Burger King, and KFC on every corner. According to a quick search on U.S. fast foods, the following represents the top 10 fast food locations in the U.S. (These are not worldwide figures...just U.S. locations.)

Subway - 23,336
McDonald's - 14,000
Starbucks - 11,000
Pizza Hut - 7,566
Burger King - 7,233
Dunkin' Donuts - 6,500
Wendy's - 5,877
Taco Bell - 5,604
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) - 5,162
Domino's Pizza - 4,927
Any wonder why we're getting fatter?

Julieanne
03-19-13, 04:51 AM
Surely genetics play a part here too? I had a neighbour who was very overweight, while her husband was a skinny. Two of the children took after her, the other two after her husband. I'm pretty sure they all ate the same food most of the time.

Her last child at seven months was like a Sumo wrestler, and almost too heavy for me to lift. He was purely breastfed. At the same time, she did have an open pantry, and the kids wandered in at any time to help themselves to unhealthy snacks. She didn't seem to see her eldest son as obese, while her husband was very critical of his weight.

There were definitely some strange family dynamics going on there!

bmc65
03-19-13, 10:55 AM
That's what creates the variations in people Julieanne. I got celiac, while someone else gets 30 extra pounds eg.

highlander
03-26-13, 08:51 PM
... she did have an open pantry, and the kids wandered in at any time to help themselves to unhealthy snacks.
Every person is different in natural tendencies and the triggers flipped by environment. A friend was telling me how a teen she knows is very overweight because the teen's mom doesn't regulate his food. I said since he's a teen he needs to be able to feed himself. His mom is not responsible. Of course, it would be helpful to keep Cheetos out of the house but that's not going to save the day.

My two girls (14 and 17) have always been able to eat what they want, when they want (except for my insistence when they were very young that they eat something healthy before any less healthy food -- carrots before brownies). Neither have ever had a weight problem -- not even a chubby stage. One is 5'4" and weighs 95 pounds soaking wet. The other is 5'6" and weighs about 105 pounds. Food was never a reward or used for punishment. No threats. No sob stories about kids in China. It was/is simply fuel and they know their health depends on it. I tried really hard to keep psychology out of it and told them "if you're hungry, eat; if not, don't."

Julieanne
03-27-13, 03:18 AM
highlander, I'm sure you didn't have chocolate bars, biscuits and other similiar stuff that they could help themseves to in your pantry. My neighbour did, and, apart from the eldest, the kids were all under eight.

highlander
03-27-13, 09:51 PM
highlander, I'm sure you didn't have chocolate bars, biscuits and other similiar stuff that they could help themseves to in your pantry. My neighbour did, and, apart from the eldest, the kids were all under eight.
Oh, yes. We've have all sorts of junk -- chips, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts, ice cream. (Usually my husband brings it home.) We almost always have chocolate and Pepsi here and have since before my daughters were born. If it's here they can get to any of this any time they want.
If it were completely up to me I'd only have fruits, veg, nuts, seeds, kipper snacks, cheese, etc. here. My husband brings home the worst junk and gets offended when I bitch about it. Today he brought home several HUGE Snickers bars. If I bring home some form of junk it's one thing per shopping trip. He brings an assortment.

highlander
03-27-13, 09:57 PM
And my husband weighs about 130 pounds and is a bit over 5'9". I'm the only one with a weight problem in our house and the only one who is a life-long exerciser.

jordanwhitman83
07-25-13, 08:32 AM
It is advisable for each home to own a device where you can count your Sugar Level because nowadays the it is getting higher..

Islander
07-25-13, 08:40 AM
Welcome to Hawkes' Health, Jordanwhitman. What kind of device do you have in mind?

Islander
07-25-13, 08:58 AM
Sugar, sugar everywhere. How much sugar? Check it out:

http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/the-crazy-amount-of-sugar-hiding-in-random-foods/

Aaltrude
07-25-13, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Islander;61175]Sugar, sugar everywhere. How much sugar? Check it out:

This is helps to show how important it is to make your own foods from scratch as much as possible. I certainly much prefer to make our own sauces and chutneys as the commercial ones are far too sweet. Even with the recipes for homemade ones, I cut the sugar content in the recipe drastically.