PDA

View Full Version : Eating Less, Weighing More

Islander
03-26-13, 08:45 PM
Hiyaguha Cohen
03/14/2013

Raising Obesity Rates Despite Lower Average Caloric Intake

There’s good news and there’s bad news in the fight against obesity. Several studies show that Americans consume fewer calories than they did 10 years ago, and they also eat less junk food. That should be reason to celebrate, except that the decline in caloric consumption hasn’t led to a decline in obesity rates, which actually continue to climb.

The discrepancy, discussed in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, has experts confounded. “It's hard to reconcile what these data show, and what is happening with the prevalence of obesity," wrote co-author Dr. William Dietz, the former CDC director of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity.1 (http://www.jonbarron.org/weight-loss/obesity-rate-average-caloric-intake?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Alerts&utm_content=DHT+3%2F26%2F13#footnote1_0cadk5o)

Read more: http://www.jonbarron.org/weight-loss/obesity-rate-average-caloric-intake?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Alerts&utm_content=DHT+3%2F26%2F13
(http://www.jonbarron.org/weight-loss/obesity-rate-average-caloric-intake?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Alerts&utm_content=DHT+3%2F26%2F13#footnote1_0cadk5o)

highlander
03-26-13, 08:55 PM
I think it's hormone disruptors and toxins causing most of the weight gain.

Islander
03-26-13, 09:08 PM
But where are these hormone disruptors and toxins hiding? Because I'm not getting fatter. Neither are my friends.

highlander
03-26-13, 09:37 PM
But where are these hormone disruptors and toxins hiding? Because I'm not getting fatter. Neither are my friends.
You lucky woman. I'm sure your food quality is higher than most people.

My husband eats as he pleases and has lost weight with no effort but his prostate is seriously giving him trouble. I blame hormones and I don't know where they are. Plastics maybe? Conventionally raised meats?

I was just fine until my second pregnancy when I went through major stress which I believe crashed my adrenals which taxed my thyroid. I don't know the details of how but I wound up estrogen dominant with a large uterine fibroid...blah, blah, blah.
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my endocrine system is just whacked. If I eat exactly the same diet that reliably led to steady weight loss before my second pregnancy (which I carefully documented at the time) I will now gain weight exponentially (like six pounds in a week or more). Maybe fluoride in water and bromide in breads interfered with iodine uptake? It's probably a storm of assault from different directions. I keep thinking that if I baby my body it will snap out of it. :: fingers crossed ::

mellowsong
03-26-13, 09:46 PM
I don't buy the fewer calories and less junk food, not with what I see with family/friends. I agree about endocrine disruptors being part of the problem. Virtually all processed foods are packaged in plastics/cans etc containing BPA and similar chemicals. If you don't eat fresh, real food, your exposure is extreme. Then there is the soy craze and soy is an endocrine disruptor. Then there's all the crap fed to animals. If Ractopamine is fed to pigs and turkeys and soon, cattle, to fatten them...well, what's it doing to those who consume ithat meat? Then there's HFCS which is known to promote fat storage, and artificial sweeteners and on and on and on. Even if consuming fewer calories, the odds are stacked against those not eating a pretty pure diet of organically grown veggies and grass fed/pastured meat, eggs and dairy.

I don't understand him saying that 74 calories is a lot! For one thing, a calorie is NOT a calorie as found in other articles here. For another, that is few enough to be close to statistically insignificant. Another thing is that once again, this data was from self report. People rarely are honest on any kind of medical self report survey and when it comes to food and alcohol, maybe one in a million with be honest and accurate. That fact alone, to me, negates this whole study.

highlander
03-26-13, 09:53 PM
Even if consuming fewer calories, the odds are stacked against those not eating a pretty pure diet of organically grown veggies and grass fed/pastured meat, eggs and dairy.
Which is a tiny minority of Americans.
Lately I've tried to just load up on veggies, fruit, and nuts more than ever; but I'm not 100% organic. Even though we eat pretty well most of the time I realize that EVERY time we eat something when we're out we're probably loading up on toxins. Multiply that by decades and we've got a serious problem.

Maurya
03-27-13, 09:57 AM
I would echo what Mellowsong said about endocrine disruptors. They are everywhere, in plastics that contact our food and water, in the horrible stuff fed to CAFO animals, and then in our meat and dairy products. Cosmetics are a big source of endocrine disruptors, as well. Most shampoos and lotions are just full of parabenes and many other chemicals that quite readily are absorbed through the skin.

It occurs to me that the bromine compounds in commercial bread products cease to be an issue when one ceases to consume wheat and other grain products.

Lovemywesties
03-27-13, 11:05 AM
No two people lose, gain, or maintain body weight in exactly the same way, and there is always going to be a small percentage of people who can't lose weight no matter what they do, short of actual starvation. Endocrine disruptors probably are part of the problem. One of the biggest endocrine disruptors for many of us is wheat itself, in addition to the gluten, the bromine compounds, and numerous other preservatives used in almost all commercial products.

For most people, the two major stumbling blocks to losing weight, IMO, is that they don't keep track of what they put in their mouths, and they don't want to totally give up their sweets, grain products, and junk food. They cheat, not because they are dishonest but because they are very good at fooling themselves. They rationalize that "this one little bite won't make any difference", and then they conveniently lose track of how many "one little bites" they are consuming. They want to lose weight, sometimes desperately so, but for whatever reason they lack the necessary commitment. Are they addicts? I have no idea. Some of them probably are.

I agree that a calorie is definitely NOT a calorie. It's hard to take any article seriously that still peddles such archaic thinking. Also, as Mellowsong indicated, what people say they eat and what they actually eat are often two different things. Therefore such studies lack credibility.