PDA

View Full Version : 30+ Things to Do with Eggshells

Islander
04-21-13, 09:29 AM
JILL WINGER
AUGUST 16, 2012

To the majority of people, eggshells are simply trash.
But to homesteader or natural living enthusiast, eggshells are a surprisingly useful resource.
I personally get a big kick out of finding uses for things people normally throw away. So, I’ve put together a list of 9 Things You Can Do with Eggshells around your own homestead.

**It is very important to only use eggshells from healthy, natural chickens if you or your animals are going to ingest the shells. Eggs from factory farms are not only less nutritious, but can also carry harmful pathogens. I personally have no problem eating raw eggs from my own free-range hens, but I wouldn’t do so with eggs from the store.**

Read more: http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/08/9-things-to-do-with-eggshells.html

mellowsong
04-21-13, 09:57 AM
Thanks Islander...lots of fascinating stuff here. I use tons of eggs doing nutritional ketosis. I am making egg shell calcium with ACV but that doesn't use up nearly enough. I've been saving the shells in the freezer. Will go out in the next few days and make the tomatoes even happier than they are, lol.

Aaltrude
04-21-13, 03:15 PM
I grind the dry egg shells and use them mainly in compost and in the garden. The first use given for them here, I have been told to avoid. Apparently feeding them back to your chickens can encourage them to eat their own eggs.

Reesacat
04-21-13, 03:37 PM
Thanks -- I have trouble with snails/slugs and am going to try eggshells!

Mr. Wizard
04-21-13, 05:51 PM
For years, I've watered my philodendron house plants with eggshell water. They love it!

Julieanne
04-22-13, 06:47 AM
mellow, why are you using precious freezer space on egg shells? I just rinse and dry, store in a 2 litre container and grind them up when it is full. That then goes into my Eco Bokashi bucket, though they still take a long time to break down.

Islander
04-22-13, 07:59 AM
Agree! I don't even rinse, just drop them into an empty coffee can and crush them when they're dry.

Aaltrude
04-22-13, 03:06 PM
Yep, I just leave them to dry and when the container I store them is full they are ground in a coffee grinder, (I used to use a large mortar and pestle until I got a basic coffee grinder for the purpose). After grinding, I store them in one of the large bags our chook food comes in until it is used.

mellowsong
04-22-13, 03:09 PM
mellow, why are you using precious freezer space on egg shells? I just rinse and dry, store in a 2 litre container and grind them up when it is full. That then goes into my Eco Bokashi bucket, though they still take a long time to break down. Because I'm keeping the membranes on and I'm using them to make eggshell calcium and just want to make sure nothing grows until I'm ready to use. They come from boiled eggs in the fridge so aren't dry. I do dry in oven when I have a lot. Teeny tiny bag...no space wasted, lol.