PDA

View Full Version : Is Organic Better? Ask a Fruit Fly

Islander
04-21-13, 09:44 AM
TARA PARKER-POPE
APRIL 17, 2013

When Ria Chhabra, a middle school student near Dallas, heard her parents arguing about the value of organic foods, she was inspired to create a science fair project to try to resolve the debate.

Three years later, Ria’s exploration of fruit flies and organic foods has not only raised some provocative questions about the health benefits of organic eating, it has also earned the 16-year-old top honors in a national science competition, publication in a respected scientific journal and university laboratory privileges normally reserved for graduate students.

Read more: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/is-organic-better-ask-a-fruit-fly/?smid=fb-share

Mr. Wizard
04-21-13, 06:09 PM
I'm intrigued. I look forward to reading the results of her research on the effects of alternative remedies, like cinnamon and curcumin, on diabetes in fruit flies.

Reesacat
04-21-13, 06:20 PM
Agree with Mr. Wizard. Amazing young woman -- may she be blessed with great success in her scientific research!

Julieanne
04-22-13, 06:37 AM
I'm intrigued. I look forward to reading the results of her research on the effects of alternative remedies, like cinnamon and curcumin, on diabetes in fruit flies.

I didn't get that far. Fruit fly have diabetes? That is a surprise.

Aaltrude
04-22-13, 02:59 PM
The thought that crossed my mind when I read that bit was - how would she know if a fruit fly had diabetes or not?

mellowsong
04-22-13, 03:25 PM
I didn't get that far. Fruit fly have diabetes? That is a surprise. Fruit flies are amazing little creatures for genetic research. Way back in Junior High School, I used them for research. Anyway, humans and fruit flies share many genes and you can induce mutations and select and breed fruit flies with sugar metabolism disorders.

Pattypans
04-22-13, 04:04 PM
It's wonderful that she sought and found a mentor (the lab doc) who respects her talents and work ethic. It reminds me of the old-fashioned apprentice model. Intelligence is so much a matter of asking the right questions--and she's full of questions, and goes after the answers! I love it. Thanks for finding and posting this, Islander. I think I'll share it with some of my students.