View Full Version : Drinking milk may ease milk allergy

11-12-08, 10:50 AM
Mon Nov 10, 2008

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Milk may be a treatment for milk allergy. In a carefully controlled study, researchers from Johns Hopkins Children's Center and Duke University found that giving milk-allergic children milk in increasingly higher doses over time eased their allergic reactions to milk and even helped some of the children completely overcome their milk allergy.
The findings suggest that giving milk-allergic children milk "gradually retrains the immune system to completely disregard or to better tolerate the allergens in milk that previously caused allergic reactions," Dr. Robert Wood, senior investigator on the study and director of Allergy & Immunology at Hopkins Children's in Baltimore, noted in a statement.
"These results suggest that oral immunotherapy may be the closest thing yet to a 'true' treatment for food allergy," Wood added.
He and colleagues caution, however, that much more study is needed and they advise parents and caregivers not to try giving milk to children who are allergic to it without medical supervision.
The study involved 19 children, ages 6 to 17 years, with severe and persistent milk allergy. Over 4 months, 12 children received escalating doses of milk powder by mouth, whereas 7 received a placebo powder that was identical in appearance and taste to the real milk powder.
The findings of the study are reported in the Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology.
At the beginning of the study, the children could tolerate only about a quarter of a teaspoon of milk, or about .04 ounces, on average. At the end of the 4-month study, both groups were given milk powder as a "challenge" to see what dose would cause an allergic reaction after the treatment.
The researchers found that children who had been receiving increasingly higher doses of real milk powder were able to tolerate an average of about 5 ounces of milk without an allergic reaction or only mild symptoms, such as itching in the mouth and minor stomach ache.
Placebo-treated children, on the other hand, were still unable to tolerate more than about a quarter teaspoon of milk without having an allergic reaction.
Milk tolerance in children treated with real milk powder continued to build over time, the researchers say. What's unclear, at the moment, is whether the children will maintain their tolerance to milk once they stopped consuming milk regularly.
"It may very well be that this tolerance is lost once the immune system is no longer exposed to the allergen daily," Wood said.
Milk allergy is the most prevalent type of food allergy and "we urgently need therapies that go beyond strict food avoidance or waiting for the child to outgrow the allergy," Wood said.
SOURCE: Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, online October 28, 2008.

11-12-08, 10:54 AM
I wonder whether it is the milk itself that triggers an allergic reaction - or the effect of homogenizing (which generates free radicals) or pasteurizing (which denatures the protein, making it more allergenic and inhibiting of nutrient absorbtion).

11-12-08, 12:31 PM
There are studies raw milk actually heals asthma.
I know with gluten intolerance you often get a milk/casein intolerance.
I think it might be the leaky gut syndrome-the gluten intolerance inflames the gut, then holes open in the digestive membranes large enought to let undigested proteins like milk in, and it triggers allergic reactions.
Right now I am just avoiding milk.

11-12-08, 02:53 PM
As I understand it, when gluten intolerance damages the villii in your intestine it also damages the area that makes the enzyme that helps you digest lactose and thus creating a secondary milk intolerance. When you eat a gluten free diet and the damage is repaired the ability to digest milk returns.

I have found that I appear to be able to tolerate A2 milk but not A1. Unfortunately A2 milk is not available in the rural area where I live and I haven't been able to test this out properly to confirm it.

11-12-08, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Aaltrude-that makes sense.
I tolerate raw goat's milk cheese the best-just a bit of sinus stuffy and a few bladder twitches.
Love the stuff-I think whoever invented beer and cheese ROCKS!

11-12-08, 03:50 PM
Hmmm......unfortunately beer contains gluten however we have a local organic beer producer who caters for the gluten intolerant by producing an alcoholic ginger beer. It is not sweet like most ginger beers and is a tasty substitute for the real stuff.

11-12-08, 04:39 PM
We have a gluten-free beer here in the US. It is made from sorghum (Redbridge http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16300459/).
It tastes really good! Most people like it better than regular beer.
Still is fattening....sigh.............

11-12-08, 06:01 PM
Ok, this is weird. I'd been drinking raw milk kefir for well over a year and never saw any kind of problem with it. In fact, I felt the kefir was instrumental in me regaining as much of my health as I did. About a month ago, along with tests for adrenal function etc, I was tested for casein, gluten, soy and egg sensitivity. The gluten and casein antibodies came back positive. So, with a great deal of regret I stopped the kefir. In the few weeks since, asthma has done nothing but get worse. I know there are multiple factors working against me, severe adrenal fatigue, wiped out immune system etc, but I've been wondering if stopping the kefir contributed to my being so sick right now. A few days ago, I made rice milk and am now kefiring that...however, this article makes me want to go get my raw milk again, lol. I have way more digestive issues after STOPPING the kefir and never saw any sign of having a problem with it. Ideas anyone? :confused:

11-16-08, 05:02 PM
I am intolerant of milk, not allergic. For instance if I have a drink of milk on one occasion, I will be fine - no reaction at all. However if I have one drink of milk every day for a few days, I will react. As I mentioned earlier, I think my problem is with A1 milk. Recently we were able to buy some sheeps milk to try and I am pleased to note I have been drinking some of this milk every day for the past nine days and I have been fine - no reaction at all. The research I have done suggests that sheeps milk is A2. Fortunately the source of this milk is one where we can continue to buy milk but the unfortunate part is that it will be pasteurised, the producer is not willing to sell us unpasteurised milk.

11-16-08, 06:47 PM
How do you know which milk is A1 or A2?

11-16-08, 07:05 PM
I thought I was getting better, till I stupidly got tempted by an ice-cream the other day... mistake. Think I'll stick with sorbet from now on, and avoid milk altogether. I'm fine with it in small doses, and with cheese, but that was just horrible. So this doesn't seem to work for me, though I am intolerant rather than allergic. :(

11-16-08, 07:38 PM
Izzy - if you can find it, try some A2 milk. Ridge is an organic brand of A2 cows milk available in NZ otherwise apparently most goats milk and most sheeps milk is A2.

11-16-08, 08:24 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between A1 and A2? These are not designations we use here. Thanks!

11-16-08, 08:38 PM
This website may give you an answer.


and this may also help.


11-18-08, 01:20 AM
A hint for anyone who cannot tolerate dairy products - you can make a butter substitute using olive oil. Put some olive oil in a suitable container in the fridge. When it has partly solidified, mix in a little salt and then leave it in the fridge to fully solidify. This can now be used as a spread in place of butter.

11-18-08, 11:38 AM
I have NEVER heard of A1 or A2 in the States. Anyone?

11-18-08, 12:20 PM
Yes, I have heard of it. Goat's milk is usually A2, so I tried it (raw goat milk cheese-everything else is pastuerized).
I tolerated it the best, but still had stuffy sinuses and bladder cramps (my signs of milk intolerance).
Since many gluten-intolerant people are also milk intolerant, I just skip it for now.
All the years of drinking pasteurized milk probably messed me up.