PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Green Cleaner You Probably Don't Use

Julieanne
11-29-13, 01:09 AM
Sayward Rebhal
November 23 2013

Any half-decent chef or baker most likely has a jar of it stashed somewhere, something that they bought long ago, for that one project that one time, and then ignored forevermore. And the name may ring a bell for you, but maybe only in that vaguely-familiar way. Snickerdoodle cookies? Fish sticks?
All the way at the very back of your spice cabinet, pushed into the farthest corner and long forgotten, is that little jar of eco-friendly DIY green cleaning gold: cream of tartar.
Tartaric acid is a white crystalline by-product of winemaking that’s affectionately referred to as “wine diamonds.” How cute is that?! And when it’s collected and ground into powder, it becomes cream of tartar: the secret ingredient in snickerdoodles, and the newest secret weapon in your green cleaning arsenal. There’s about a million and one ways to use cream of tartar around the house, but here are 10 of the very best:

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-amazing-green-cleaner-you-probably-dont-use.html#ixzz2m0Z7LwUT

Islander
11-29-13, 10:49 AM
Funny, there it is on the shelf, and I can't remember the last time I used it — for anything! Thanks, Julie!

mellowsong
11-29-13, 04:55 PM
A lot of these I do with baking soda...wonder if the cream of tartar works better? At least for cleaning don't have to worry about aluminum, lol. I have an ancient, expired can somewhere. Will have to try some of these. Thanks!