PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pulling Heals Gums & Whitens Teeth, Naturally

Julieanne
01-14-14, 04:30 AM
Sayward Rebhal
January 10 2014

When I first read about oil-pulling, it set off just about every skeptic alarm bell in my brain. See, I’m a hippie, tried and true. I was raised by hippies and spent my childhood burning sage in dry river beds while dancing to the rhythmic pulse of a spiritual drum circle.
But now I’m all grown up, and as it turns out, I’m a scientist. So I love my natural, holistic, alternative therapies. But I need them to make good logical sense, too.
And when I first read about oil pulling? Well, it didn’t make so much sense.
Oil pulling is the ancient Ayurvedic (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-wonderful-ayurvedic-home-remedies.html) technique that basically involved swishing a tablespoon of cold-pressed oil around in your mouth every morning for 20 minutes. Because purportedly, this swishing will pull the “toxins” out from all over your body, drawing them into the oil and therefore cleansing your whole system. Which heals your gums and whitens your teeth. Because the oil pulls the “toxins” out of your tongue.
So, no. That doesn’t make any sense.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/oil-pulling-heals-gums-whitens-teeth-naturally.html#ixzz2qMLzKims

Mr. Wizard
01-14-14, 09:45 PM
Is there any merit to the cautions against oil pulling if you have mercury fillings or bridge work?

grulla
01-14-14, 09:59 PM
Has anyone tried pulling with H2O2, as I do each and every morning after brushing?

Reesacat
01-14-14, 10:18 PM
I oil pull with coconut oil before coffee and after breakfast brush teeth with Earthpaste and then swish H2O2. How do you pull H2O2 ?

grulla
01-14-14, 10:23 PM
I simply oscillate my cheeks pumping the H2O2 back and forth through the teeth and gums. Now that you ask, I'm starting to wonder if that meets the definition of "pulling"?

Reesacat
01-14-14, 10:24 PM
Mr. Wizard I think Mellow tried to find out documentation/ research to back up the caution to not oil pull if you have mercury fillings etc. and if I remember correctly couldn't find any.

Reesacat
01-14-14, 10:30 PM
@Mr. Wizard: Jon Barron wrote:
There is no detox action to oil pulling. It will not pull mercury vapors out of your fillings. It will not make your fillings fall out -- no more than eating salad with oil dressing every day makes your fillings fall out.
Full article at:

http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/oil-pulling-questions#.UtXy-yUo7qA

Lovemywesties
01-15-14, 12:20 PM
Like an old wive's tale, oil pulling is one of those things that's evolved to be part fact and part fiction, and few people seem to know which is which. Just from a common sense standpoint, I think there's a very good possibility that frequent oil pulling with any medium, if done vigorously enough for a long enough period of time, could loosen crowns, fillings, etc. Oil, in particular, is very good at seeping into minuscule openings--even more so if driven by the swishing action of 20 minutes of oil pulling.

I would agree with Mr. Barron, however, that there is no detox action--again a common sense deduction--other than the fact that a cleaner mouth means less bacteria migrating down one's throat. So why is 20 minutes the magic number? Seems to me that 3 to 5 minutes of gentle swishing, if done daily, would be long enough to eliminate most mouth bacteria without loosening one's dental appliances.

As for clogging drain pipes by spitting into the sink--unlikely. The oil you've swished with will be very diluted with saliva and further diluted when you run the faucet to send it down the drain. If in doubt, spit into the toilet.

StephenX
01-16-14, 01:52 PM
I've been swishing olive oil and peroxide around in my mouth for years. Didn't even know I was "pulling" :)

bmc65
01-16-14, 11:02 PM
Haven't heard of earth pastes Reesacat.

Reesacat
01-16-14, 11:45 PM
Haven't heard of earth pastes Reesacat.

Here is the link to their website -- it is a toothpaste with clay and sea salt:

http://www.earthpaste.com

Reesacat
01-16-14, 11:47 PM
I spit my used coconut oil into an empty supplement bottle and discard after a few days. I know people who spit into the sink and it did plug it up.

Mr. Wizard
01-17-14, 08:07 PM
@Mr. Wizard: Jon Barron wrote:
There is no detox action to oil pulling. It will not pull mercury vapors out of your fillings. It will not make your fillings fall out -- no more than eating salad with oil dressing every day makes your fillings fall out.
Full article at:

http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/oil-pulling-questions#.UtXy-yUo7qA

Thanks, Reesacat. Very helpful info. I have very old mercury fillings and had heard that oil pulling could dislodge them. I like "Lovemysesties" suggestion of perhaps swishing for 3 to 5 minutes, as oppose to the suggested 20 minutes.

mellowsong
01-17-14, 08:11 PM
When I was oil pulling with coconut oil, yep, it sure did clog up the sink. Now I discard into a paper cup although haven't pulled in a long time. Probably liquid oils wouldn't clog up but not sure I'd take the chance. I also use Earthpaste and really like it.

Pattypans
01-19-14, 08:13 AM
I don't have any trouble with clogged drains because of oil pulling. Maybe it's the climate, though. But as several have already suggested, there are ways around spitting into the sink.