PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Announces Release of Organic Foods at Cheap Prices

Islander
04-20-14, 10:04 PM
Christina Sarich (http://naturalsociety.com/author/christina/)
April 17th, 2014

Could it be that the big box giant Walmart heard the massive consumer plea for more organic food? The store just published an announcement stating that it will offer packaged organic foods at the same or comparable prices as non-organic foods as an attempt to undercut pricing from its competitors.

This seems to be good news for the consumer, considering that many people have often claimed they can’t afford eat organic since it can be more expensive than eating non-organic foods (unless of course you grow them yourself.) Dr. Oz even once said (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zester-daily/organic-food-is-not-just-_b_2903901.html) that ‘organic is great, it’s just not very democratic,” insinuating that most people can’t afford organic truffle oil or organic quinoa. Eating organic isn’t just for snobs, though, or foodies. It is a vital step in taking back our health and living a longer life.

Keep reading: http://naturalsociety.com/walmart-roll-organics-cheap-prices/?utm_source=Natural+Society&utm_campaign=0029a6e7da-Email+430%3A+4%2F17%2F2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f20e6f9c84-0029a6e7da-323119937

Islander
04-20-14, 10:25 PM
I remember when Walmart claimed to carry a few organic items years ago, and was found fraudulent. This sounds like a more authentic attempt to truly source organic products at Walmart-customer-friendly prices. Frankly, I think they have to, for the very reason that the last time they tried to promote an organic item, it was a colossal fail.

There is a sense that only low income people shop at Walmart, but that's not necessarily true. Here it forced all competitors out of the market so today, as far as department stores are concerned, it's the only game in town. I'd have to drive an 80 mile round-trip to replace printer ink cartridges or computer supplies, for instance. Since there are surviving hardware and feed stores in town (and since I have no need to shop for clothing anymore), printer ink and technology supplies are about the only reasons for me to shop Walmart.

Some of you know that I raise 50 organic free range broilers and three organic pastured pigs every summer. This year for the first time I had more demand than I could supply. To accommodate more chicks and more pigs, I'd have to make some substantial accommodations that I'm just not prepared to undertake. So I have to draw the line where it has always been. I have a waiting list in case of cancellations, but I've never had a cancellation so... The only reason I'm posting this is to point out that there seems to be a universal growing demand for organics, and that seems to be a miraculous and wonderful paradigm shift.

mellowsong
04-21-14, 10:06 AM
OK, so organic food is already rather compromised when it comes from Big Ag. When they start selling to WalMart at those low prices, what further compromises will occur?