PDA

View Full Version : This Frito Lay Organic Product Sent Shockwaves Through Me – Help Get It Everywhere.

wr7476
01-20-15, 03:55 AM
Food Babe (Vani Hari)
01-19-15

Everyone knows that chips aren’t exactly healthy and many of us eat them anyways. They are part of our culture whether we like it or not. Super Bowl Parties. Vending Machines. Side Items. School Lunches. They are everywhere and that’s why seeing a very popular chip change sent shockwaves through me and a burst of hope shot up my spine.

I was recently near San Francisco visiting a local Costco store and saw a huge display of Organic Ruffles in one of the aisles. I was really surprised to see this because I’d never seen Organic Ruffles, and in fact, I had never seen a certified organic Frito Lay product ever in my life. Turns out that these chips are an exclusive deal, and are only available to Costco members. Costco wanted to have more organic snacks available to their customers, so they asked Frito Lay and got them. I also came to find out that it’s not just Ruffles and that Costco also asked Frito Lay for an organic version of Stacy’s Pita Chips, and also limited-edition Supreme Cheddar Doritos without the MSG (that you find in regular Doritos). Go Costco!

http://foodbabe.com/2015/01/19/frito-lay-organic/

wr7476
01-20-15, 04:16 AM
Vani does some fantastic proactive work in the name of health, and I applaud her efforts. It does't mean I'm going to run out and buy these products, just because they're safer, from a health standpoint. What I will do is recommend these products to the people that I care about, who habitually consume the less healthy flagship versions, despite my cautioning advice. If other money chasing corporate conglomerates see Costco having success, they will be sure to follow. Please consider supporting her petition at the bottom of her article. Thanks.

Reesacat
01-20-15, 07:51 AM
Signed! I agree wr7476 — I have family who eats conventional and this would be a better choice. Also, sometimes traveling you need a snack and having organic choices could help.
Thank you :)

grulla
01-20-15, 01:16 PM
Great article "wr", and certainly a step in the right direction, even though I, personally, don't want to get back in the habit of eating those starchy snacks, organic or not. Signed, sealed and delivered.

PS: afterthought, maybe FL will consider producing BAKED organic sweet potato chips...hmmm.

Mr. Wizard
01-20-15, 09:27 PM
Strange marketing strategy?? Frito Lays is a subsidiary of PepsiCo, which spent millions to defeat Prop. 37. Go figure? Anyway, I'm all for healthy snacks. Since the snack industry is such a "copy cat" industry, this probably means more healthy snacks are on the way.

wr7476
01-21-15, 03:50 AM
It blew me away too, Mr. Wizard! I hope to see more copycats. I wonder who got those millions that PepsiCo et al spent?
Bagged snacks are not really my thing anymore, grulla, though at one time, I could kill a bag of Lay's potato chips in no time flat! Oh, and washing them all down dipped with canned potted meat... For the sake of college kids, organic sweet potato chips are an option I wish I would have had. What do you think about organic potted meat? Dooonnn't answer. I'm kidding!
I'm always looking for "ins" to improve the diets of those whose health and wellness I care about, Reesacat. And I know they shop Costco, so yeah, I'll be throwing ideas out there for them. Maybe one day, they'll shop at even healthier stores.

grulla
01-21-15, 05:18 PM
"wr", BAKED "organic sweet potato chips". It just occurred to me, I've been down this road before. All the BAKED organic (blue or yellow) corn chips at the Silver City Food Co-op are baked with (sometimes mixed) canola oil. I wonder why canola oil, let alone any oil, is needed for baking. I have a funny feeling that the new FL chips aren't going to be any different as far as cooking oils are concerned, even if they are baked. I would hope, at least, it's a step in the right direction.