PDA

View Full Version : Nation’s Second Largest Retailer to Double Organics Immediately

Islander
03-10-15, 12:08 PM
Christina Sarich (http://naturalsociety.com/author/christina/)
February 28, 2015

I think what we're doing is working

You voted with your dollar. You spoke out on social media. You educated your co-workers who were eating a junk-food diet. Thanks to this influence, organic food sales are exploding (http://naturalsociety.com/sorry-monsanto-organic-food-demand-absolutely-exploding/), so one of the largest retailers in the US is ‘doubling down’ their investment in organic and sustainable products.

Target’s initiative is called ‘Made to Matter,’ and it will nearly double the number of sustainable and organic products it sells. The chain has already included an exclusive collection of 16 brands and over 100 individual products that were introduced last year – ranging from bleach-free diapers to nonaerosol air fresheners.

Keep reading: http://naturalsociety.com/nations-second-largest-retailer-to-double-organics-immediately/?utm_source=Natural+Society&utm_campaign=73e8ee2df3-Email+689%3A+3%2F5%2F2015+-+Target+Double+Organics&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f20e6f9c84-73e8ee2df3-323119937

highlander
03-22-15, 01:08 AM
I love Target.

Mr. Wizard
03-22-15, 09:48 PM
Target continues to struggle to bring back customers in the wake of the massive data breach of customer credit and debit card information. To my knowledge, Target is the only major retailer to fire its CEO over a computer data breach. Focusing on organic products is one sure way to increase customer base. Target still continues to close stores, especially in the South and the Midwest, due to slumping sales. Apparently, Wal-Mart and Amzazon.com are giving Target a run for its money!

Islander
03-23-15, 12:26 AM
So much of this success or failure depends on individual store management. I intensely dislike everything about Walmart, the predator chain, except for the customer service at our local outlet. Despite having to work for pathetic wages, and despite having been through an inexplicable change of managers over time, this particular store continues to excel in customer service. An employee is always visible from almost any vantage point in the store; not only will they tell you where to find something, they will invite you along and lead you to it. The prescription department especially goes above and beyond. On one occasion there was going to be a wait to fill a prescription… Not long enough for me to go home and come back, but too long to simply stand and wait around. At any rate, I told them I would wander through the store window shopping, so to speak, and they volunteered to ring me on my cell phone when the prescription was ready for pickup. Sure enough, about 15 minutes later my phone rang, I got my meds, I went home.
The closest Target is an 80 mile drive and I have no reason to shop there (or anywhere, for that matter — at my point in life there's very little that I need) but on one occasion I was looking for patio chair cushions, and on another occasion, a specific gift for a grandchild. To begin with, there were no associates visible anywhere on the floor. Eventually I tracked someone down. In the first case I was advised that although I needed four matching cushions, what I saw on the shelves was what they had, i.e. pairs, not 4 of any pattern at all... but I could go online and order something... In the second instance, the associate knew no more than I did and wandered up and down the toy aisles like a moron, looking over the same real estate I had just scrutinized and coming to the same conclusion: they didn't carry that item. Clearly this location was under wretched management and there was no incentive for me to ever return.

Mr. Wizard
03-23-15, 08:35 PM
I've never shopped Wal-Mart. But, apparently I'm in the minority, as their 4,500 U.S. stores seem to doing quite well without my business. My experience shopping Target is very similar to yours Islander--no floor sales people to help me find anything. This could be one of the reasons it's down to 1,800 U.S. stores. I didn't realize that Sam Walton was both the originator of Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. I've seen these 2 stores across the street from each other....go figure?

grulla
03-23-15, 09:01 PM
My local Walmart has had some organic food items for a couple years now, such as eggs, fresh spinach, green onions, broccoli, butter, recently apple sauce, and pricy Jones Creek grass fed roast beef. The organic Marketside spinach is sold for about $4.50 in a 10 oz container, and for another dollar, you can buy it in a 16 oz container, which is what I do for my morning egg skillets. But I have to make sure it is used quickly, and that I vent the plastic container, both to prevent premature wilting. Following the "dirty dozen- clean fifteen" list is a big help in overcoming the need for some of the pricey organic produce; http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

Islander
03-23-15, 09:20 PM
@Mr. Wizard: Yes, Sam's Club and W-M are both Walton offspring, but very different in merchandise. Sam's is more of a wholesale outlet; it caters to businesses (or maybe to very large families). items they sell singly include adding machines, calculators, cash registers, filing cabinets, maybe microwaves (I haven't been in there in a while); they sell a lot of supplies designed for businesses, like cases of copier paper, sales receipts, adding machine tape, pens by the dozen, that sort of thing. They sell foods but again, in quantity: a package of six boxes of cold cereal or pretzels, for instance, the sort of thing you might want for your restaurant. The same applies to frozen foods. You pay an annual membership fee to shop at Sam's. When I ran a business the membership was worthwhile, but once the business was closed I didn't bother to renew.

Islander
03-23-15, 09:26 PM
@Grulla: No disrespect because I understand that you shop at Walmart... but 50% of what's on their shelves comes from China, where standards are low and contamination is rampant. I might buy a house plant at Walmart, or printer ink, where I have a fair certainty of getting what I paid for. Would I trust their organic label? Sorry, no. One of my best friends thinks Walmart is a boon for the low income population in central Maine, and I understand that, people need to stretch their dollars around here. She was so adamant about the Walmart experience that I gave in for a while and sampled some of their wares. I thought their eggs were overpriced and nothing special; their cottage cheese was just weird, I can't explain why, kinda tasteless, and their yogurt was thin and limp. They had an interesting selection of canned goods that appealed to a variety of ethnicities, but all were laced with sugar and MSG so they stayed on the shelf. The one item I found worthwhile was a 1 pound bag of frozen okra; sadly, it wasn't organic, but I bought it anyway because there was no okra to be found anywhere else at that time!

highlander
03-24-15, 11:04 PM
I have had the opposite experience as you, Islander. I think I could drop dead in a Walmart and still not get help from an "associate" (except for the pharmacy, they're great). In Target, every time I turn down an aisle some associate is asking me if I need help and it really irritates the crap out of me, but I remain polite as possible. The stress.

The Super Target is at least 50 miles from me so I don't shop there as much as I'd like. Walmart is about 20 miles away.

grulla
03-31-15, 08:17 AM
Hi "Islander", your Walmart comment, " ... but 50% of what's on their shelves comes from China..." got me thinking, and I finally was able to remember to check the label on my Market Side organic spinach, which does say, "Product of USA". That brand is alternated with another brand, from time to time, called Taylor Mountain Ranch, (or something like that???) organic spinach, and I assume by that name that it is also domestic, but will check and see the next time I encounter it.

Julieanne
03-31-15, 09:23 AM
I assume by that name that it is also domestic

grulla, I wouldn't trust a name because it sounds American - I notice the Chinese have become good at that trick. I have seen some very Australian-sounding names which on examination were made in China. Does 'Rivergum', a brand of shoes and clothing, sound Chinese? I guess some people are fooled. (Not implying that you will be, as you are checking up).

Islander
03-31-15, 09:38 AM
"Product of USA" may be authentic; my supermarket chain labels fish as "product of China," "product of Canada," "product of Norway," etc. and in many cases also includes "wild caught." Anything not specifying "wild" means it's farmed fish and I don't buy it. But Walmart was deceptive about sources being organic in the past and I still don't trust them on that. I know that most of their nutraceuticals come from China. I also know that products like honey can be labeled from Canada or Spain or Poland or wherever it was last bottled; but it may have been through many stages prior to being transferred into retail jars with a label affixed; The same may be true of many other products. Most honey on supermarket shelves is a badly diluted and tempered-with product of China. All my honey comes from a local beekeeper, someone I know personally. in other words I trust virtually nothing from Walmart — not hard goods and definitely not food.