PDA

View Full Version : C onsumers Being Misled By Labelling On 'Organic' Beauty Products



Julieanne
04-28-17, 07:13 PM
Rebecca Smithers
April 24 2017

Many brands use the word organic on labels when their products are not

The makers of many “organic” beauty products have been accused of confusing and meaningless labelling, according to a new survey in which 76% of consumers admitted they felt misled.
According to the Soil Association’s recent market report (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/19/sales-of-organic-food-soar-fruit-vegetables-supermarkets), sales of organic health and beauty products swelled by more than 20% in 2016, with the market now worth about £61.2m in the UK.
But the industry has put money into marketing products it claims are “green” rather than spending money on formulating environmentally friendly, toxin-free products that are not harmful to the skin, the Soil Association warns.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/24/consumers-being-misled-by-labelling-on-organic-beauty-products-report-shows

Mr. Wizard
04-28-17, 09:51 PM
I'm not shocked about deceptive labelling on "organic" beauty products. The "organic" foods labels are becoming equally suspect. The "organic" labels on pre-packaged foods, for example, means that about 70% of the product is organic. The other 30%....who knows?? As main-stream food manufacturers buy up the smaller organic food producers, food products labeled organic or "made with organic ingredients" should give us all pause.

Islander
04-29-17, 08:49 AM
I generally avoid anything packaged or processed to begin with. For one thing, there's not much wiggle room in my budget for "wasted calories," and I agree with Mr. Wizard that prepared foods calling themselves "organic" are not to be wholly trusted. As far as "beauty" products are concerned, I'm afraid they're unable to remediate what nature failed to bestow. I use a coconut-oil-based hand lotion as well as a homemade "healing salve" of coconut oil and comfrey leaves, and my shampoo is also chemical-free and wholesome.

Julieanne
04-29-17, 10:09 PM
Years ago, when organic was just becoming recognised on personal care products, I checked the ingredients on a bottle of something (shampoo?) labelled 'organic'. It was loaded with synthetic chemicals, but they were organic chemicals, so it was not legally deceptive. Probably wouldn't happen now, but it might be time for a change of wording.

Organic agriculture is moving into 'regenerative agriculture', but I can't right now think of an appropriate term for beauty products. 'Natural' is fairly meaningless.

Islander
04-30-17, 06:50 AM
If you know what items to look for (e.g. "sodium laurel sulfate" or something like that), it's fairly easy to tell whether you're being sold a safe product — or a bill of goods.