PDA

View Full Version : Go organic, save energy

Islander
02-10-09, 11:49 AM
A friend sent me this item today and I thought it worth sharing:

"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of local and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week."
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

Aaltrude
02-10-09, 03:48 PM
A large portion of our meals are local and organic though it is lot easier to eat this way living in a rural area than it was when we were living in the city.

mellowsong
02-10-09, 04:07 PM
I'm proud to say that probably 99% of fresh food that I eat is local. The only exception is some produce in the winter. I didn't know that I was saving energy too doing this :)

Aaltrude
02-10-09, 04:11 PM
The main way you are saving energy is in the transport costs however there is also the storage factor for food that needs to be refrigerated.

Islander
02-11-09, 10:48 AM
Consider too the cost of processing meats. In my freezer I have chickens that I grew, pastured pork that a friend raised, and grass-fed beef from a farmer in a nearby town. They went to local slaughterhouses (little in shipping costs) and the income/expenses connected with these enterprises stayed in the community. Some big chicken processors (like Tyson's) send US chix to China for processing. Can you imagine?

Aaltrude
02-11-09, 02:50 PM
If it is at all possible we prefer to preserve food by drying it. If you bottle fruit, there is all the sugar required which is not a healthy option. When it is frozen, there is the ongoing costs of the electricity to run the freezer. Once it has been dried the on going costs are zero. there is only the cost (and I use the word 'cost' in it's broadest sense) of the electricity to dry it. My husband is planning to make a solar operated drying rack so once that is made even the elctricity cost can be greatly reduced.

Islander
02-11-09, 03:03 PM
Fine...but how do you dry a chicken? ;-)

Aaltrude
02-11-09, 03:07 PM
I don't eat chicken but if you live on a farm, why would you need to freeze it when they are free ranging on the farm and ready when you are.

Islander
02-11-09, 03:39 PM
Because right now, their free range is covered with 2 feet of snow!

Aaltrude
02-11-09, 03:46 PM
MMmmm good point - it is rare for us to have snow here.

Islander
02-11-09, 03:50 PM
Aaltrude, we have a 90-day growing season. Global warming has affected that but we can't depend on more than 90 days between killing frosts. That''s why it's important for us to home-can and freeze what we are able to during the growing season. Some items (apples, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, winter squash) can be stored under the right conditions but that's about the limit.