PDA

View Full Version : The Case Against Sugar / Gary Taubes

Islander
08-17-17, 10:25 AM
Gary Taubes, author of Eat Fat, Get Thin and Good Calories, Bad Calories (on my bookshelves) hits another one out of the park with the exhaustively researched Case Against Sugar. Most members here are already aware of the downsides of sugar and its addictive nature. Journalist, investigator, scientist and health advocate, Taubes is well-qualified to discuss the dangers of sugar which, once understood, could very possibly save your life. He goes well beyond the epidemic Mark Hyman calls "diabesity" to explore the havoc that our colossal intake of sugar has on our metabolism. It should be no surprise that those populations without access to refined sugar will die with perfect teeth in their mouth. No jargon here; this is an interesting and persuasive read. Highly recommended.

Mr. Wizard
08-18-17, 04:42 PM
I wonder which is worse...good old cane sugar or artificial sweetners??

Islander
08-18-17, 07:58 PM
Provocative question, Wiz. Did you just give yourself a research assignment? :)

Ora Moose
08-19-17, 10:33 AM
I wonder which is worse...good old cane sugar or artificial sweetners??

There's no doubt in my mind that "good old cane sugar" will always be the better choice, providing it is truly "good old."

Now if it's GMO cane sugar, or has been grown using pesticides, insecticides or any other cides all bets are off and it's a toss up.

Pattypans
08-19-17, 05:13 PM
I'm no expert, Ora, but I agree with you.

grulla
08-19-17, 06:19 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that "good old cane sugar" will always be the better choice, providing it is truly "good old."

Now if it's GMO cane sugar, or has been grown using pesticides, insecticides or any other cides all bets are off and it's a toss up.

Ora, the only good sugar is NO sugar, (for human consumption). But this may be a promising use for sugar in the future...batteries:

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2014/01/012213-cals-battery.html

https://howwegettonext.com/sugar-batteries-and-fake-leaves-will-light-up-your-world-ef04dace9e83 (https://howwegettonext.com/sugar-batteries-and-fake-leaves-will-light-up-your-world-ef04dace9e83) starting with the 11th paragraph

Julieanne
08-19-17, 07:36 PM
....been grown using pesticides, insecticides or any other cides

I read an article in a health mag years ago (yes, we used to have to pay for information!) that white sugar is so highly refined it is just pure sugar, with no 'cides' left. The article was basically saying if you want to use sugar, avoid molasses, raw and brown sugars and buy refined white. This was before GMO's, and organic sugar was unobtainable. These days I can buy raw, organic sugar in the supermarket.

wr7476
08-20-17, 01:03 AM
There may quite possibly be on good sweetener out there, and it might even deter cancer according to studies. While no one is sure how this works, I believe that if true, it must be acting like a Trojan horse. Cancer loves sugary substances, and while it is very good at fighting anything that wants to kill it, a cancer cell will open its doors to this innocent looking sweet stuff. Then something in the syrup jumps out and kills the sweet seeking cell. There are additional claims including type II diabetes reversal. I think it warrants much more research. Here is one of a few articles I've read.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110330131316.htm

Islander
08-20-17, 10:22 AM
"Researchers have discovered 34 new beneficial compounds in pure maple syrup and confirmed that 20 compounds discovered last year in preliminary research play a key role in human health."
Who doesn't love pure organic maple syrup? That's why I love a little on my buckwheat pancakes every six weeks or so. Although it's comparable to honey in terms of beneficial compounds, it's still a sweetener, with all that that implies, so use restraint. I have a teaspoon of honey in my cup of morning tea, and that's my dose of sweets for the day.

Mr. Wizard
08-20-17, 06:49 PM
Humans do love sugar. The proverbial "sweet tooth." And, sugar is in almost everything, especially fruit and brightly colored veggies, like carrots, etc. But, I didn't know even green leafy veggies contain sugar. Spinach, kale, collards, etc. all contain a sugar known as "sulfoquinovose (SQ for short). The greener the veggie, the more SQ it has. SQ is the only known sugar molecule to contain sulphur. SQ gives green veggies their sweet taste, but it also feeds the good bacteria in our gut to aid digestion, while blocking bad bacteria. Read more about SQ here:
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-how-a-weird-sugar-in-leafy-greens-protects-your-gut-from-bad-bacteria

Islander
08-20-17, 10:13 PM
I learned that cigarette tobacco leaves were dipped in sugar water before curing… So that even your smokes came pre-sweetened! And it's added to everything from soups to salad dressings, condiments, pasta sauce, almost anything in a jar. "Added sugars," I think they're called.