PDA

View Full Version : Why Stevia is not only sweet but bitter

Islander
02-07-18, 01:26 PM
Prof. Thomas Hofmann, Dr. Anne Brockhoff

The human tongue has just one receptor type for detecting sweetness but about 25 different ones for bitter flavors. Scientists at Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM) and the German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam-Rehbruecke (DIfE) have now identified the two receptors, hTAS2R4 and hTAS2R14, that detect the bitter after taste of Stevia.

Extracts from the subtropical plants are up to 300 times sweeter than conventional sugar. They also contain almost no calories and are less harmful to teeth. Yet Stevia, or sweet leaf, as it is more commonly known, also has its disadvantages: At high concentrations, it elicits licorice-like aromas and a bitter after taste.

Read more: https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/press-releases/detail/article/29621/

Julieanne
02-08-18, 01:23 AM
I never found Stevia to taste bitter, but it can leave a licorice-like 'feel'. I add a little raw sugar to balance this. Works quite well. I used to add erythritol for this purpose, but it eventually caused GI problems. That was after taking it for about two years, at approx a tspn a day. I can still use it occasionally with no problems.

Islander
02-08-18, 12:38 PM
Stevia from the fresh leaf has a strong licorice-like flavor for me, but I detect no bitterness or off-flavor at all from the extracts, both powdered and flavored. This taster/non-taster gene may parallel the one for cilantro, which I do have! Cannot tolerate cilantro in any form!