PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Products Could Be Causing Infants Obesity Epidemic

Julieanne
09-24-18, 11:06 AM
Bryan Hubbard
September 21st 2018

Household cleaners and disinfectants could be the cause of the obesity epidemic among infants and toddlers.
The products change the children's gut microbiome which helps regulate their weight, new research has discovered. The only safe cleaning agents to use are eco-friendly ones, which don't have the same bad effects.

Infants who live in homes that use standard disinfectants at least once a week were twice as likely to have higher levels of gut microbes, known as Lachnospiraceae, which are linked to weight gain.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2018/09/cleaning-products-could-be-causing-infants-obesity-epidemic.html?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enews_24092018&utm_term&utm_content&bt_ee=kRIhyRuHQabp7wyfnje6E%2FN%2FsoF2N7FnEwXZIKDb LKy3qp%2BAOdpQhowcT1WQWE94&bt_ts=1537783441121

Mr. Wizard
09-24-18, 05:43 PM
In addition to the household cleaners and disinfectants, infants and toddlers are also being bombarded with chemicals in their baby furniture, toys, the carpeting in their bedrooms, etc. Also, they inhale the flame retardant chemicals in their mattresses and some clothes. Only a small percentage of household chemicals have been tested to determine their safety. Obesity is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Islander
09-25-18, 08:53 PM
Agree. We live in a world awash with chemicals, including the phthalates in teething rings and binkies. And consider this: How many homeowners treat their yards with chemical weed-killers? Family members, including the dog, walk over these lawns and track chemical residues into the house and across carpeting where the babies crawl.

At some point in my life I realized how fortunate I was that I was raised in a socio-economic class that could not afford to indulge in new carpeting, living room sets, recliners etc. And when I married and had a family of my own, we were still in that same comfortable socio-economic class. Consequently, much of what we owned in the way of furnishings was already pretty much finished off-gassing by the time it found its way to our house. And only twice did we have to endure that fabled "new car smell"!