PDA

View Full Version : New York boy dies after smell of cooking fish caused possible allergic reaction: repo



grulla
01-03-19, 09:44 AM
Madeline Farber
January 2, 2019

An 11-year-old boy in Brooklyn, New York, has reportedly died after the smell of cooked fish potentially caused him to have a fatal allergic reaction, according to a report.
Cameron Jean-Paul reportedly suffered an allergic reaction Tuesday night when his family was cooking fish, police told the Daily News (https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-boy-11-dies-brooklyn-home-possible-fish-allergy-20190102-story.html). At one point, he lost consciousness and was subsequently taken to Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center.

Continue reading: https://www.foxnews.com/health/new-york-boy-dies-after-smell-of-cooking-fish-caused-possible-allergic-reaction-report

grulla
01-03-19, 11:41 AM
And here is an article that claims one can have an adverse allergic reaction from breathing peanut particulates in the air, but not (necessarily) reacting to peanuts as a food.
https://www.acsh.org/news/2016/11/15/relax-your-child-wont-die-airplane-peanuts-10444

Mr. Wizard
01-03-19, 07:32 PM
There's lots more to this story????

grulla
01-04-19, 08:05 AM
It seems all the related news items are more-or-less eqally brief in substance. One can scroll and scan various news websites with https://duckduckgo.com/?q=boy+dies+from+smelling+fish&t=h_&ia=web

Islander
01-04-19, 08:14 PM
One commentor on the story asks a valid question: "If that killed him I have to ask. How did he live to be 11?"

scilover
07-06-20, 12:36 AM
Oh wow, i had no idea that just a smell of cooking fish could cause a allergic reaction. I'm surprised that only happened when he was 11 years old. I'm guessing his family didn't know?

Islander
07-08-20, 08:51 AM
I'd say, relax. This story is so sketchy, so lacking in detail, that I would hesitate to take it seriously. And as someone pointed out, if the fish had been cooked in peanut oil, and the child had a peanut allergy, there just might have been a connection… But other sources insist that the smell of an allergen alone, like fish or peanut oil, is not enough to trigger a reaction. I almost want to bury this as "fake news"

grulla
07-08-20, 10:28 AM
"Islander", I agree with your peanut oil suspicions, some of these peanut (near) death reports from minimal contact are quite alarming:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/girl-with-severe-nut-allergy-died-after-kissing-boyfriend-who-had-eaten-peanut-butter-sandwich-a7073501.html

https://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/allergic-to-the-smell-of-peanuts anecdotal forum

https://www.peanutallergy.com/lifestyle/peanut-allergy/is-the-smell-of-a-peanut-dangerous

scilover
08-24-20, 10:40 PM
Thats weird to be allergy to cooking fish but there nothing wrong with it since allergic can be to anything like how my sister allergy to meat. her body with started to get rashes after a meal of meat.