PDA

View Full Version : Monsanto's Dream Bill, HR875

DizzyIzzy
03-12-09, 07:32 AM
This is terrifying - won't copy the text as there's a lot of good info in the comments below as well (including a 'rebuttal' from a Monsanto employee himself who gets completely and utterly - scuse the term - owned by everyone following).

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Monsanto-s-dream-bill-HR-by-Linn-Cohen-Cole-090309-337.html

mellowsong
03-12-09, 01:33 PM
I was just fixing to post this but here is the Organic Consumer's Association Version:
This week, we received numerous calls and emails from OCA supporters who came across alarming YouTube videos and emails circulating on the internet that claimed a new food safety bill (HR 875) introduced in Congress would make "organic farming illegal." Although the Bill certainly has its shortcomings, it is an exaggeration to say that is a secret plot by Monsanto and the USDA to destroy the nation's alternative food and farming system. In actuality, HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, is a limited-vision attempt by moderate Democrats and Republicans to craft food safety legislation to address the out-of-control filth and contamination that are inherent in our industrialized, now globalized, "profit-at-any-cost" food system.

This being said, OCA does not support HR 875 in its present form, given the fact that, if the Bill's regulations were applied in a one-size-fits-all manner to certified organic and farm-to-consumer operations, it could have a devastating impact on small farmers, especially raw milk producers who are already unfairly targeted by state food-safety regulators. Although the OCA deems this Bill as somewhat well-intentioned, we are calling on Congress to focus its attention on the real threats to food safety: globalized food sourcing from nations such as China where food safety is a joke and domestic industrial-scale and factory farms whose collateral damage includes pesticide and antibiotic-tainted food, mad cow disease, E.coli contamination and salmonella poisoning. And, of course, Congress and the Obama Administration need to support a massive transition to organic farming practices.

Click here to learn more and take action (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_17194.cfm)

I do absolutely love the comments at that site Dizzy :)

Islander
03-12-09, 05:33 PM
Haw. I had the same reaction: outrage and panic, followed by the item in my in-box from OCA. BUT I may still fwd that article to my state legislator to shake him up a bit, since he's sucked in by Monsanto.

mellowsong
03-12-09, 06:11 PM
BUT I may still fwd that article to my state legislator to shake him up a bit, since he's sucked in by Monsanto.

What a great idea!

Reesacat
03-12-09, 06:22 PM
Because everyone e-mails, they are now saying a handwritten letter will get the best response. Each letter represents about 10,000 votes-motivation:)

Islander
03-12-09, 07:52 PM
But please note this: Any and all postal mail goes first to be screened (in Reston, VA, I think) before being passed on to members of Congress. This delay could be as long as 2 weeks before your letter reaches its recipient.

A fax might be more effective. ANY communication is taken seriously since most folks don't bother—even when they feel strongly.

mellowsong
03-12-09, 09:09 PM
I do get responses from my representatives when I email. It may take awhile but I get a personal response...I'm sure not from "himself" though, lol. A fax is a great idea too!

Reesacat
03-12-09, 09:18 PM
(In the best 'Dragnet' Voice):

Just the fax, ma'm-just the fax.........

DizzyIzzy
03-13-09, 05:43 AM
Ahh Dragnet! Hehe.

Yeah, I found the comments the best part of that original post - certainly made me giggle anyway. Don't know a lot about the bill but it certainly sounds pretty alarming!

Samurai
05-07-09, 09:52 PM
I drove by Monsanto the other day in St. Louis.... ironically, the lawn looks lush and beautiful with gorgeous trees and flowers... I wonder how in the world they got it that way. Maybe it was not even grass? It was probably some frankengrass. Bet the oncologists in the area do well.