PDA

View Full Version : Paying More For Organic Or Local Food Is "dumb"??

Islander
11-03-07, 08:34 PM
DUMB QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

CONGRESS AGRICULTURE CHAIR COLLIN PETERSON: PAYING MORE FOR ORGANIC OR LOCAL FOOD IS "DUMB"

From an MSNBC.com Financial Times Oct. 17, 2007 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21349573/

Collin Peterson, chairman of the House of Representatives agricultural committee, says the farm sector that raises organic produce and grass-fed beef for local consumers needs little federal help. "It is growing, and it has nothing to do with the government, and that is good," he told the FT. "For whatever reason, people are willing to pay two or three times as much for something that says 'organic' or 'local'. Far be it from me to understand what that's about, but that's reality. And if people are dumb enough to pay that much then hallelujah."

To send a message to Collin Peterson (Democrat, MN) congratulating him for getting the Organic Consumers Association award for the dumbest quote of the week: http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_8104.cfm

###

This newsletter from Organic Consumers Association is e-mailed to me about once a month. Following the link at the bottom of the article will take you to a page where you can tell Rep. Peterson just where the bear sh*ts in the woods. Below are my comments to him. Feel free to copy and send, or create your own free-wheeling insults!

Dear Rep. Peterson:

You really don't get it, do you? Organic and local are “dumb”? Are we living on the same planet? I thought you were from MN, not from Mars.

Our chicken is contaminated with Salmonella as it swims in a bath of feces during processing. Pigs raised in CAFOs are forced to drink their own urine. Feedlot beef is given a diet of corn - a food alien to them - and plugged with antibiotics and hormones to speed growth. Shrimp from Asia are fed on chicken droppings loaded with antibiotics. Undercooked hot dogs transmit Listeriosis. Monsanto would like to see all dairy cattle inoculated weekly with Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone. Drinking water is laced with tetracycline for all confinement animals. Farmed salmon is fed artificial colorants to make its flesh pink. Ground beef is frequently recalled for E. coli content, and the same can be said for spinach, ice cream, pepperoni and the list goes on. No other first world country takes it for granted that its food supply is so contaminated and adulterated.

By all means, continue to feed your family chemicals and antibiotics... while you exclaim at the proliferation of cancer, as well as MRSA, extreme TB and other drug-resistant strains of bacteria that the wanton use of anitbiotics has fostered. I prefer to make healthier choices for my family. I would not have to pay so much more for these commodities if Congressmen like you understood the costs entailed in switching a farm from conventional to organic methods, and directed your subsidies where they might actually be instrumental in improving the health of all thinking Americans.

Sincerely,

PPARGammaGirl
11-03-07, 10:30 PM
WELL SAID Islander!

mellowsong
11-04-07, 12:16 AM
It is done Islander. WTG!!! But boy, how I wish I didn't have to pay so much more :(