PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Oz Segment On Youtube

mellowsong
12-08-09, 08:15 PM
_WEUC7hRXzM

mellowsong
12-08-09, 08:19 PM
Well, I thought, from what I'd heard about the show that maybe he had a clue on this...until the end! He tells a CFIDS patient to exercise! EGADS. Maybe, early on you can. I don't think anyone can really understand unless they have it:( I am so disappointed in him. I shoulda known considering he condemns coconut oil and espouses canola oil.

Reesacat
12-09-09, 12:50 AM
Dr. Oz said just walk to the mailbox every day or do something-whatever you can do.
It was reasonable-people with moderate CFIDS can walk a bit every day.
The key is to listen to your body and do only what you can without relapsing-which varies from person to person and day to day.

Most CFIDS patients overdo-but some are so afraid of the pain they don't move at all, which makes it worse.

I don't think he will understand virgin non-processed coconut oil is better than canola:).

Remember, this is a start-be patient with their learning curve.
What Dr. Oz did for thousands of patients and their families by airing this segment we will never know, but I believe it was enormous. 20 years ago we couldn't get anyone to talk about this-I was scheduled to go on the local TV station/radio, etc. and kept getting canceled because of OJ's trial.

mellowsong
12-09-09, 02:41 AM
Dr. Oz said just walk to the mailbox every day or do something-whatever you can do.
It was reasonable-people with moderate CFIDS can walk a bit every day.
The key is to listen to your body and do only what you can without relapsing-which varies from person to person and day to day.

You are right...I just went off unfairly :)

EmmaPeel
12-09-09, 02:57 PM
Dr. Oz has shed some light on many subjects that wouldn't otherwise be discussed, and I am sure he has motivated many people to some positive lifestyle changes....but...I have some issues with the brevity of the topics he discusses, and sometimes he even promotes things that need much more detailed research and a longer topic focus.

For example, last week I watched him do a program on hypertension where he clearly stated that the 'most common cause of hypertension is the use of salt' and then he proceeded to distort the information being put out by having a man who clearly was insanely abusive in his salt intake, morbidly obese, and who ate high carb, fried junk food four times a day.

Clearly this fellow had a problem with salt which Oz used to make his point. (...and this guy used regular white table salt which benefits nothing to the body...)

I can see where he was going with his very brief education on hidden salt, but no where did he mention that hypertension primarily is also the abuse of carbohydrates and simple sugars...(see Mercola).

Case in point...diabetes and hypertension are rampant in the Canadian Aboriginal population and many, many studies have concluded that the increase in these two dietary factors, combined with a profound sense of cultural loss, has been the trigger.

I wish that Mercola had an hour long show daily...but that will only happen in my dreams....he's way too controversial for mainstream media, sadly.

Islander
12-09-09, 05:01 PM
I wish that Mercola had an hour long show daily

Yipes! For all that he does a great deal of good, I'm lucky to devote an hour three times a week, and probably not even that. He's become repetitious and tabloid-y, playing on fear and marketing with sensationalism. He recently headlined cell phones as a "death trap." That really turned me off! I saved his hour-long lecture on Vitamin D but have yet to make time to watch it....

EmmaPeel
12-09-09, 05:43 PM
Islander...I was thinking perhaps if he was on TV then he wouldn't be so repetitive!! He'd be forced to deviate and tone down his sensational titles...

I too have been turned off by some of the titles and articles, but I thought that it isn't all his presentation, but also posters who choose to title and present?

I do like the fact that he does respond occasionally to poster questions.
Anyway, I appreciate the research that he does for me and I have learned a huge amount from his site, but you are correct in saying that one has to cherry pick the ones that are not repetitious. I rarely post anymore over there solely because no one ever responds or posts anything interesting in response.

It's become squeaky clean... and those who challenge or question him are quickly 'beaten up' and dinged bigtime! Many are banned....and I am not talking about the rude, bullies who post...I am talking about someone who may have come from a different personal situation.

For example, one poster tried to make a point that his clinic and his products are far too elitist and expensive, and not for the average, middle or low income family. This poster had the most negative points I think I have every seen!

Well, we all can see that the Doc has done well for himself, but I tend to agree with the poster that his clinic has soared beyond the reach of those who likely need it the most...

THAT really ticks me off...when availability and affordability is only for those who drive Benz's...:mad: Meh.

Reesacat
12-10-09, 04:51 PM
Been thinking about all the comments......

This is where Hawkes Health fills a gap-we get to discuss the pro's and con's of differing doctor's advice, protocols, etc.

Plus a lot of these guys were trained in conventional drug/surgery/vaccine-based medicine. They really have to re-learn alternate health and undo years of training and herd mentality.

No one person is going to get it right. I have to give Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola credit for changing as much as they have, putting the information out to the general public, and putting up with the criticism and pressure from conventional medicine.

Sooo...those are my thoughts:)

Islander
12-10-09, 05:36 PM
I don't watch TV, as you all know, though I can usually find an item I want on YouTube or Hulu. I've read some of what Dr. Oz has to say (Life Extension publishes him occasionally) and agree with the above comments.

One of the problems with sites like Mercola's (and with clubs and organizations as well) is aging. What I mean is, people reach a point where they feel the site/club/group has nothing more to offer, or they have learned all that they could from that source. I think that's why we see such a turnover in mercola.com. The material is repetitious to us, but to hundreds of novice-level posters it's all brand-new. I look only at the articles that interest me, and only at the first and last pages of comments, because that's where the ticklers are, ifyouknowwhatImean andIthinkyoudo.

When I have knowledge or experience to share, I do, and when someone asks a question that I know will not be asnwered, I'll chime in if I have the answer. Otherwise...life's too short!

Islander
12-10-09, 05:43 PM
...For example, one poster tried to make a point that his clinic and his products are far too elitist and expensive, and not for the average, middle or low income family. This poster had the most negative points I think I have every seen!

Well, we all can see that the Doc has done well for himself, but I tend to agree with the poster that his clinic has soared beyond the reach of those who likely need it the most...

THAT really ticks me off...when availability and affordability is only for those who drive Benz's...:mad: Meh.

I agree strongly with this. Product prices are high, and cost of services prohibitive except for the affluent few. I certainly don't begrudge the man a living. But the medical practitioners I have the highest respect for are those who will treat you on a sliding scale...or, as my local hospital does for low-income folks, for free.

EmmaPeel
12-10-09, 09:08 PM
Practitioners should work on a sliding scale. And certainly, refrain from marking products up 300-500%. I know because I order my products wholesale and I can see what the markup is...

Good health choices should be available to all. Education should be available to all. Good treatment should be available to all. Alternative healthcare should be available to all. No matter what your income is.

When the gap between upper class and lower class widens, then middle class all but disappears...and when middle class disappears you have nothing more than a third world country...

I am starting to like the Danish model of healthcare. They pay 60-70% in taxes, but homelessness and poverty are pretty much non-existent, daycare and proper nutrition is paid for, education not taxed and is pretty much available to all and free, housing is safe, sufficient and subsidized, each employee has 6-8 weeks of paid vacation, and obesity is rare. The Danish enjoy good health because their system supports it. Alternative treatments and choices are welcomed and provided for everyone.

Good health=A good economy because individuals are healthy, motivated, and eager to be productive...

That's my rant for the day!! LOL:D